Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took out my old original GENerator from my galaxie500 to put in a new one. The old GENerator has a pulley i need because my new one didnt come with one. It has this one key hole in it. I tried sticking something in it too see if it would budg but it didnt. I tried everything I could and wasnt able to remove it. So i took it to my local auto parts store to see if they could remove it. They tried for a good 30min and werent able to remove it. I tried to order one from them but it looks like they dont even stock that sort of pulley So any and all help would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Is it screwed onto the shaft? The shaft looks threaded, so I wonder if it screws on, or is pressed on? You would have to lock the shaft to be able to unscrew the pulley.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is it screwed onto the shaft? The shaft looks threaded, so I wonder if it screws on, or is pressed on? You would have to lock the shaft to be able to unscrew the pulley.

I clampped it down to a bench vise. And started to turn. Tried to turn it clock wise and counter clock wise. To the point that it wanted to bend and still wouldnt budge.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The 1964 Galaxie shop manual (may be available for download - see the manual download sticky thread at the top of the page) says to remove the two long screws that go through it, take the armature out with the pulley and front plate still attached, clamp the armature in a vice with soft jaws, then remove the nut, woodruff key, and pulley. Doesn't got into further detail. If there is a woodruff key then the pulley wouldn't unscrew.

Do you have a real, honest-to-God auto electric shop in your town? Indianapolis has several auto electric shops, but when you actually start talking about rebuilding a starter or generator, all but one sends it to someone else or just replaces it. If you have a real electric shop, I would suggest taking it to them.

Pat

·
Registered
472 Posts
If you don't care about the old generator...

Hold the thing by the pulley, up in the air (awkward) gen down, pulley up, and smack the end of the shaft a good one.
This will ruin the shaft but the pulley might pop off.

Watch your toes! when the gen falls. May have to hit it a couple of times.

Failing that.... you will need to buy or rent/borrow a special puller made specifically for that job.

Might be able to "make do" with a generic puller of some type...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 1964 Galaxie shop manual (may be available for download - see the manual download sticky thread at the top of the page) says to remove the two long screws that go through it, take the armature out with the pulley and front plate still attached, clamp the armature in a vice with soft jaws, then remove the nut, woodruff key, and pulley. Doesn't got into further detail. If there is a woodruff key then the pulley wouldn't unscrew.

Do you have a real, honest-to-God auto electric shop in your town? Indianapolis has several auto electric shops, but when you actually start talking about rebuilding a starter or generator, all but one sends it to someone else or just replaces it. If you have a real electric shop, I would suggest taking it to them.

Pat
I did what you said i just dont see any other screw to take off and i dont have a woodruff key. I took it to my local NAPA Auto Parts Store. They told me if i couldnt take it off to go to a tier center, see if they can pull it off.

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
Those shafts are often ever so slightly tapered.

That's why I suggested a good sharp rap with a hammer.
The pulley gets wedged on there and it needs a shock to break it free.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Those shafts are often ever so slightly tapered.

That's why I suggested a good sharp rap with a hammer.
The pulley gets wedged on there and it needs a shock to break it free.
YOOOO Thank you and too every one else after 3 hours of constant baning i finally got this mofo off. You dont happen to know if they sell this pully separate?

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
YOOOO Thank you and too every one else after 3 hours of constant baning i finally got this mofo off. You dont happen to know if they sell this pully separate?
Mac's lists a couple pulleys on there site. One from a Ford tractor might fit? Amazon list a couple pulleys? Next time use a little heat and it will almost fall off.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts