Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m getting ready to rebuild my 352fe. I’m going to bore it out a little and put a 390 crank in it. I also want to put some headers on it. I have the borgesn power steering upgrade. I was looking at flowtech headers but I don’t think they fit. Are there any long tube headers you have used for a 352 that fit and are not expensive? Thanks!

·
Administrator
21,851 Posts
I have no personal experience with headers but with stock steering setup I always hear FPA and Sanderson is what fits the easiest. If nothing else this comment will bump it up to the top so someone that actually has more input than this will notice the post!!

·
Registered
418 Posts
The cheap eBay shorty headers are a compromise you might be interested in. Not as good as long tube but easier to install. On mine, I had the heads off for a valve job so I was able to set the headers in place, then remount the heads and bolt them up so I can't say how difficult they would be to install otherwise. But I think you would at most have to loosen the motor mounts and raise or tip the engine from side to side.

Pat

·
Registered
88 Posts
I can,for a fact tell you that the ebay shorties will not fit a 65-66 galaxie chassis w out serious modifications to the passenger side tube. (cyl 1) it can be done, but i just wasn't in the mood. you would need to relocate it to clear the cross-member. I have a set i bought 3 years ago, new. the welding on them is way better than the sanderson ones, no joke. i dropped the $ on some sanderson ones and they are perfect fit. IF you want the stainless ones i have, I'll sell them for like 65 bucks if you come get em. I have literally no use for them. they are sitting in a crate at work on my rack in the warehouse. never run, not banged up. heres the interference on the frame/crossmember on my 66 when i test fit the motor. motor mount was over an inch above the pad.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Oh, good point about them not fitting 1965 and up. I see from other posts that the OP has a 1966, not 63/64.

Pat

·
Administrator
21,851 Posts
One of those details we sometimes forget to mention and can make a world of difference in certain areas! I have been guilty of the same in the past.

Oh, good point about them not fitting 1965 and up. I see from other posts that the OP has a 1966, not 63/64.

Pat

·
Registered
88 Posts
I noticed the year, hence why i said they could be modded. would be an easy welding project but i was so irritated i just ordered new ones. after the sandersons showed up and i saw the welds and terrible post production finish i -almost- sent them back. the collectors were also garbage, warped to death by poor fabrication practices. i used one of the ebay ones and a heddman hedder one i bought at a local store. (needed one straight, one angled).

I hope these pics help somebody. would have been super handy to me to have seen stuff like this back in November.

PICS:

these are how the sandersons fit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can,for a fact tell you that the ebay shorties will not fit a 65-66 galaxie chassis w out serious modifications to the passenger side tube. (cyl 1) it can be done, but i just wasn't in the mood. you would need to relocate it to clear the cross-member. I have a set i bought 3 years ago, new. the welding on them is way better than the sanderson ones, no joke. i dropped the $ on some sanderson ones and they are perfect fit. IF you want the stainless ones i have, I'll sell them for like 65 bucks if you come get em. I have literally no use for them. they are sitting in a crate at work on my rack in the warehouse. never run, not banged up. heres the interference on the frame/crossmember on my 66 when i test fit the motor. motor mount was over an inch above the pad.

That might not be a bad idea. Ill talk to a local shop and see what that would take to accomplish. I appreciate it! If not, those Sandersons fit pretty nice. I like the long tube also.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I put a set of Sanderson's on my 63 a couple of years ago and the collectors weren't welded. Probably due to the low quality welds. The headers themselves looked great although I've had interference problems with them in several places but this is probably due to me using gaskets when they specifically said not to. I'll be rectifying that once I get the windshield and dash projects completed soon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
@NC500 I've got a 63 galaxie but can vouch for the quality of FPA headers. I put longtubes from FPA on my car but I imagine the quality of the shorties for a 66 would be the same. Quick shot of the longtubes before they were put back in the car in May.

Where in NC are you?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts