Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Have a new to me 65 Galaxie 352 that I picked up this summer. She always fired right up on the 1st try until the temps dropped a week or so ago. Now that the mornings are in the 40's, the car will stall after the 1st start. Pump the gas a couple of times and usually stays running after the 2nd start. Once or twice it has taken 3 tries to keep her running.

Any ideas? Is there a choke adjustment I need to make for the cooler weather?

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
You need to enrichen the choke adjustment and adjust the fast idle.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Sounds like the choke needs adjusted..What type of carb are you running?..There is normally a big round black plastic peice on the passengers side of the carb that controls the spring tension on the choke..Three little screws around the outside edges hold it from turning..Make a mark on it so you can return it to its original position if necessary and loosen the three screws slightly..It may have an arrow on the side showing you which way to turn to enrichen it..If not just turn it in the direction that closes the choke flap..A little trial and error will probably be necessary to get it just right so it stays on long enough but not too long or on too strong causing flooding issues.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Is there a preferered shop manual for these FE engines?
You need the exact year FORD SHOP MANUAL for your car (and/or engine if a swap).

All will be described there. Also clean all linkage(s) with aerosol choke cleaner. Make sure the tension in the choke cap is correct (they fatigue). Only move the choke cap one position until you arrive at the correct indexing.

In the old days... :frown: ... the choke was adjusted for summer or winter driving as part of a tune service (4100's received a renewal kit on the car also).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts