Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '66 Gal with 3-1 rear and 352 engine. I'm wondering if a stroker kit would provide a noticeable increase in torque without other changes. I'd like like a little stronger pull but I also need reasonable mileage with today's gas prices. Anyone have any experience along those lines? Thanks for any comments. Ron W

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Yes you will see an increase in torque..The FE engine is a great example as it was built with so many different cubic inch sizes with very similar heads and intakes...Just compare stock specs from a 352 to a 390 and even a non CJ 428..

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I switched out my 352 for a rebuilt 390 and while I could feel some difference, it was not all I was expecting. Well I guess it is only + 40 Cu inches after all.

My advice would be to upgrade with something more than a stock 390 if you want to get your money's worth.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have a '66 Gal with 3-1 rear and 352 engine. I'm wondering if a stroker kit would provide a noticeable increase in torque without other changes. I'd like like a little stronger pull but I also need reasonable mileage with today's gas prices. Anyone have any experience along those lines? Thanks for any comments. Ron W
Yes, it will definitely make a difference. The stroke will add quite a bit of torque, and the extra cubes will pay off up top. But keep in mind that to make the most of it you'll need to update the heads and carb as well. It will probably be cheaper to find a 390 block to start with to avoid having custom pistons made.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts