Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
I would agree on the drama thing, Randy....

However, there are certain things that are said publicly that need to be corrected, so that the random internet reader doesn't get false info.

Call any reputable builder that you can think of and ask them if they use Eagle cranks in their FE's... ;) There's no way I would use one and neither would Barry Rabotnick, Blair Patrick, Keith Craft, or the like. I simply don't want to see anyone tear a block in half.

On certain engine platforms, there is information privy only to those who have experience with them. I have lots of experience with FE's, Clevelands, and Windsors. It's what pays the bills. I wouldn't hop on a Pontiac forum and give advice contrary to Jim Butler, nor would I hop on a Chevy forum and give advice contrary to Pat Musi. ;)

I think I got you straightened up with your login on my Cleveland forum....thanks for all your help.
Brent I respect your opinion and the experience you have that backs it up. I have used Eagle, Scat, Moldex, Bryant, Crower , Callies, Velasco and others. BUT , I have never used an Eagle FE crank so I have no opinion comment on the quality of "that" crank from them. In my day job , I have people mentioning Eagle as the crank they are using ( along with Scat and others) on FE strokers. People often make comments about "brands" of cranks. I'm pretty sure if barnett468 had the same experience you have had he would not use / promote that brand either. I'm 90% sure he does not build engines in the same caliber as you do , so he "may" never have failed one like you and others have . This is a tough medium to get things across sometimes and that is why I promote PMs when there is a question about meaning in a post.
Randy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello All, I've got a good running 352 in my '64 Galaxie 500, but like any guy I want more power! I'm putting together build ideas, with hopes of doing something next year. My research says I can bore it out to 4.050, and install a stock 390 rotating assembly, sticking with standard bore 390 parts. The other option is to go to 4.080 and choose one of the many 390 .030+ stroker kits out there. In addition I'm planning on a mild cam upgrade, an aluminum intake, a Holley 750, and maybe some shorty-headers to top it off. The goal is to keep the car as close to stock as possible, yet have the power I need, when I need it...on pump gas. And yes, I drive this car a lot. Mostly on the highway, but it's no trailer queen.

My questions:

Is taking the bore on the 352 to 4.080 too much? It's my understanding the block is the same as a 390, but I don't want to make any assumptions.

Secondly, any suggestions in regard to the rest of my plan are welcome. I'm trying to make mistakes on paper, so if I'm headed in the wrong direction feel free let me know.

Just so everyone knows, I'm wanting to use 352 because its original and in good shape, and it seems a waste not to.

Thanks
To stroke out a 352 you need a 360 crank 390 rods in the Pistons the heads can be use for a 352 or 390 even if 360 I've already done this in a 352 and an F 100 for full-time 4 wheel drive

·
Premium Member
3,972 Posts
To stroke out a 352 you need a 360 crank 390 rods in the Pistons the heads can be use for a 352 or 390 even if 360 I've already done this in a 352 and an F 100 for full-time 4 wheel drive
I think you may have typed this backwards.

- a 352 and 360 crank is the same, if you added shorter 390 rods, the pistons, already deep in the hole, would be an additional .050 in the hole and still only be 352 cid

- If you tried to use the 352 pistons with 390 crank and the 352 or 360 rods, the pistons would be way above deck

In the end, there is no way to stroke a 352 using Ford pistons at factory 352 bore size. However, with a .050 overbore you can do the following

1 - 390 cid - 4.05 bore (360 truck or 390 4V, 1.76 compression height) + 6.49 390/428/427 rod + 390 crank
2 - 410 cid - 4.05 bore (390 truck or 410 Merc pistons, 1.66 compression height) + 6.49 390/428/427 rod + 428 crank (must internally balance or cross fingers with 428 flywheel)

Regardless, this post is 4.5 years old :) and back then it was a miserable argument to boot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello All, I've got a good running 352 in my '64 Galaxie 500, but like any guy I want more power! I'm putting together build ideas, with hopes of doing something next year. My research says I can bore it out to 4.050, and install a stock 390 rotating assembly, sticking with standard bore 390 parts. The other option is to go to 4.080 and choose one of the many 390 .030+ stroker kits out there. In addition I'm planning on a mild cam upgrade, an aluminum intake, a Holley 750, and maybe some shorty-headers to top it off. The goal is to keep the car as close to stock as possible, yet have the power I need, when I need it...on pump gas. And yes, I drive this car a lot. Mostly on the highway, but it's no trailer queen.

My questions:

Is taking the bore on the 352 to 4.080 too much? It's my understanding the block is the same as a 390, but I don't want to make any assumptions.

Secondly, any suggestions in regard to the rest of my plan are welcome. I'm trying to make mistakes on paper, so if I'm headed in the wrong direction feel free let me know.

Just so everyone knows, I'm wanting to use 352 because its original and in good shape, and it seems a waste not to.

Thanks
I, too, have an FE 352 in a 65 Galaxie Convertible. My plan is to rebuild her using a Scat 4.25 stroker kit but at same bore (4.0"). This calculates to a 427 ... hp not so much but a TON of torque. Builder says to keep stock iron heads with hardened seats for my purposes (Blue Ridge runner; steep mountains and not too many straightaways) so that the compression ratio is manageable for pump gas. Stainless valves, and a Lunati 10330701 or similar gives it a slight rumble at idle with power coming in from idle to about 4500 rpm meaning usable likely 1000-3800 rpms. I already have Edlebrock RPM intake and long tube headers with 2.25" flowmaster dual exhaust and Pertronix distributor upgrade with Flamethrower coil. Right now, pretty confident with choices ... enough to order the fender emblem badges for 427. Watching to see/hear how your project goes with Christmas Eve anticipation.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts