Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
I honestly don't know the correct answer or truth to these blocks.....

was hoping that one of the FE guru's, like BarryR would see this topic and chime in.... my understading is that he seek's out 360 blocks for his builds
since the 390 standard bore block is getting harder and harder to come by...
and theres still a lot of 360 truck blocks out there....

read somewhere he stated any FE block bored past 0.30 over should be sonic checked....

if its true that 352 and 390 was cast identical prior to being bored to it's prospective size's.....

then the 352 would be equally desirable as 360 or 390 block...???????...:confused:

I would love to know the real facts...
I have a perfectly good/candidate 352 sitting in the back of my house...445.maybe...:D

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
That would mean that a standard bore 352 would have a thicker cylinder wall than a standard bore 390, because the blocks are the same. I would think the 352 would have cylinder walls .050 thicker than the 390, if they were the same casting.
Bore of one being 4.000 and one being 4.050 wouldn't make the cylinder walls .050 thicker, they would be .025 thicker.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Well, Seems the right thing to do is pay the money for another true 390 factory bored block, have the 352 sonic checked and bored.....or...yeah.. I think I will.....JUST use my original 390 that's in the car, although it is the original matching numbers engine.

So in reality, hehehe I still seem in the same dilemma.....

HEY! Barry R. is the same Barry that owns Survival Motorsports, right????

I need to call him to see about my stroker kit anyway, maybe I will do that
TODAY...since I am off work and considering tearing down my original motor......

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Betcha he has std bore 390 blocks :p

You keep mentioning "numbers matching"
Fords don't *really* numbers match. I mean, the date code can line up, but otherwise it isn't like an engine block is married to a car.
If it was me, I'd use my existing 390 and just keep an eye out for a 390 block that has appropriate dates, buy it, grease it up and stash it somewhere.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Betcha he has std bore 390 blocks :p

You keep mentioning "numbers matching"
Fords don't *really* numbers match. I mean, the date code can line up, but otherwise it isn't like an engine block is married to a car.
If it was me, I'd use my existing 390 and just keep an eye out for a 390 block that has appropriate dates, buy it, grease it up and stash it somewhere.
Yeah, I have contemplated that too..... Yes, I am aware of the date codes only lining up. The block, heads, intake rear end, tranny, all made within 4 1/2 months of each other....

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
The 390 I bought had already been sonic tested by Jeff at Houston Engine and Balancing. He pronounced it unfit for a 428 but bored it .030 for me. Here is what test results looks like (numbers are in thousandths, I assume)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Are you still going to have your 352 block sonically tested?
I spoke with Barry R. at Survival Motorsports today. He recommends having the 352 sonically tested if I bore to .030 390cid specs.

He aslo said hehe that for around $4500 I could have him take a 390 block he has, perform the machine work, install the cam bearing and 445 cid stroker kit.

If I pay for the thrust plate and gear set, he'll even build the entire short block for me. Then just have to truck freight it here......

very tempting..

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts
just curios ......
did you ask Barry if there was any difference in casting 352 v.s 390..?????

·
Premium Member
5,567 Posts
I spoke with Barry R. at Survival Motorsports today. He recommends having the 352 sonically tested if I bore to .030 390cid specs.
I wonder if there is a block he WOULDN'T recommend a sonic check on.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I didn't come right out and ask.....But, during our discussion, I brought up the 352 and he said he has stroked those too. He has specs on his site pertaining to bore vs stroke for the 352, and the 360/390 are grouped by together. Seems the 360 is the underbored 390 block. I will be in contact with him again soon and will surely ask the specific question.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Well, I finally pulled the original engine and the C6 out of the Gal. everything is on the stand and stripped.......Engine was rebuilt at some time, all mains and rods are stamped to match...... CLEAN inside.....some bearing wear....and ....Turns out, she's already been bored .030 over. All pistons are stamped such. Stock rods and 390 crank. Off to the machine shop to check it out and see if it needs another .010" to clean it up. She'll be a 447 cid if I have to dig in another .010. If not, then drop in the stroker kit after a good cleaning and machine shop check.

I'll call Barry again this week and ask about the 352/360/390 casting question.

Pics on a build thread soon.

Thanks.

Tommy

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I'm subscribing to this thread, interesting topic. These FE's are still a bit confusing sometimes. Is the only way to identify a FE's true identity, to break it open and start measuring? I've got an extra one mated to a C6 that I don't know what it is, and need to identify it.

The next generation of old school...

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
another idea....
for probably less than a new block, I wager Barry can get pistons in 4.050 for your 4.25inch stroke engine.

I don't imagine you'd ever notice the difference.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts

He aslo said hehe that for around $4500 I could have him take a 390 block he has, perform the machine work, install the cam bearing and 445 cid stroker kit.

If I pay for the thrust plate and gear set, he'll even build the entire short block for me. Then just have to truck freight it here......

very tempting..
I'd strongly consider this option, as he KNOWS his stuff, and will do GOOD machine work. FE's can be a fickle animal.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
another idea....
for probably less than a new block, I wager Barry can get pistons in 4.050 for your 4.25inch stroke engine.

I don't imagine you'd ever notice the difference.
He could, i am sure..he does custom diamond pistons too. But my original engine is already .030 over. definitely want the 390 block though..

·
Registered
54 Posts
How much do you think you will get for your 352?
I haven't seen one for sale on Craigslist etc, in working condition.
I'm curious if you would get any decent money for it.

I have a 352 —and was hoping that I could rebuild it as a 445
by boring it out (in a few years)

But it looks like that's sketch, based on this thread...

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
How much do you think you will get for your 352?
I haven't seen one for sale on Craigslist etc, in working condition.
I'm curious if you would get any decent money for it.

I have a 352 —and was hoping that I could rebuild it as a 445
by boring it out (in a few years)

But it looks like that's sketch, based on this thread...
No reason why you couldn't do it with a 50thou overbore on the 352 (to stock 390 bore size - 4.05) and then get NON-oversized pistons to suit the 445 stroker kit. Might cost you a couple of hundred bucks more for the pistons over the 30thou overbore ones Barry has in stock, but all perfectly doable.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts