Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can some one exlpain the differences between a 360 and 390, horse power, torg and anything else. I have a 360 in my 1975 f100 and it went to heaven two nights ago and I'm going to replace it. Any advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dont have the specs and it has been 10 years or better since I made my switch, I replaced a worn out 360 with a reman 390 and did a lil side work and all I can say is the power and fuel econcomy differnece was great I will never look at another 360 given the change to have a 390.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To go from a 360 to a 390 is there anything that has to be done or is the out side the same size as the 360? Will the same intake, valve covers, oil pan and etc fit on a 390?

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
The BEST thing you can do to a 360 is convert it to a 390.

These engines are completely identical except for the crank and rods. The pistons are even the same. All you need for the transformation are the crank and rods.

360's come with the piston WAY down in the bore at TDC. They have zero quench, and zero compression. The pistons are close to 1/8" down in the hole at TDC!

Converting to a 390 adds more stroke, brings the pistons right up to the deck at TDC, and provides for a nice compression increase over the dismal 8 to 1 of the 360.

I HIGHLY recommend this modification to ANY 360 that needs rebuilt.

Go for it!

·
Registered
127 Posts
The pistons are even the same. All you need for the transformation are the crank and rods

Early 360's didn't have the slipper skirt and wouldn't work, but everything after 1972 should be fine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts