Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently procurred a 1977 460cid to power my 1975 F-250 highboy. I am considering building up the motor as a 429, as everything I am told is convincing me that destroking the 460 will considerably produce more low-end torque. My question is this: Is it true that all I will have to change is the crank? I have been told that other than the crank, the 429 and 460 engines are identical..

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
The crank and I believe the rods too but I was under the assumption it was the other way around that the 460 will make more torque I may be wrong though still new to the 385's. I do know if you dont port those heads which should be D3VE-A2A forget it and at least put in larger exhaust valves both torque and horspower will be limited.

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
I can tell you from experience you'll want the 460. My old F-250 was a factory 460. At the strip it was a tire smoker. Put in a 432 (.030 over 429) & the ET was the same but the 60' times were slower & no tire spinning. All this with a better camshaft too. Dave's right... 460

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I remember reading in a Mustang Monthly magazine a while back ... they were talking about how to build all the variety of motors that ever came in Mustangs.

When they got to the 429 the single best recommendation they had for building more power and specifically low end torque ... was to swap in a 460 crank and pistons.

For whatever that input is worth

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks for the input fellas! Since I posted this topic last month, I've done a lot of research...I've determined that the 460 is definitely the way to go. I've got her in the machine shop. I've also come to the realization that I need to buy a set of cobrajet heads or at the very least a set of D0VE heads. These seem to be the key to getting max hp out of the bigblock. Might be awhile, everywhere I've looked, aftermarket heads run at least $850.00 a piece while their factory counterparts are all but extinct. I blew a shot at a set of D0VE heads on Ebay a couple weeks ago, they sold for $495 and when I saw them there was only about 1 minute left for the auction.
C'est la vi!!! Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The C8VE or C9VE are basically the same as the Dove heads and you should be able to dig up a set for a reasonable price.The stock CJ heads are worth a fortune these days and with there huge runners your probably better off with the regular passenger car heads if your looking for low end torque.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts