Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I’d like to replace original (but worn) C7AZ-6250-A cam in 390 FE with two barrel carb (2V). I am rebuilding the engine these days and I want to keep her in original numbers matching condition. But I cannot find any online shop with identical cam, even further shop with Ford numbered parts. There are a lot of better performance cams on the market, but they would not work well with intake etc.
Please, have anyone experience with aftermarket cams and 2V in Galaxie? Which aftermarket cam seems to be closest to original C7AZ-6250-A?
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
201 Posts
1967 390 with a 2 bbl cam you say? Rock Auto lists three available for that year, with lifters for around $220. Oddly, it shows it for a Ranchero, not a Galaxie. Not sure if this is what you are looking for, best to check your shop manual for lift and duration. Put a new chain on it while your at it.

1967 FORD RANCHERO Camshaft and Lifter Kit

·
Registered
837 Posts
The stock 2V 390 cam is pretty small and short. The C7AZ-A only has a 256* In and 266* EX with .427" and .431" respective lifts. That's not much air for 390 cubes. There are several more modern grinds available from Comp, Crane, etc that will both better power and better mileage. Something like a 268H with 268* In/Ex and .494" In/Ex or 260H with 260* In/Ex and .484" would be a great replacement. These cams give you a lot more lift, but not so much that you need to modify your rockers/shafts/etc.

I've used both of these cams in daily drivers and mileage and power increased with both over stock 2V cams.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Both the 260H and the Edel. performer, which I believe is 194* and 204*@ 50 thou, can be considered "stock replacement" for your 2-V 390. I've read that the stock Ford cam had either 186* or 192* of intake duration @ .050" lift...and either 194* or 199* of exhaust duration. I replaced my '70 2-V cam with an Isky...202* int/exh @ .050", plus a "T" 4bbl manifold and 4100 carb. Mountains of low end torque, power drops off above 4,800 RPM. If you improve the exhaust side of the engine (porting/headers), a single pattern cam will work great.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts