Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone just registered.Seam like a really great site.
I just bought a 68 TorinoGT it used to have a 390 in it. But i bought it with out a motor or trans.So my ? is I want to put a 390 back in it and i would like to get the most out of it to with todays technology too.So any suggestions would be much appreciated.
And for the trans im thinking a Richmond 5speed it did have a 4speed.
and if anyone would know of a site where I could get some specification's for Dest top Dyno 2000 for Fords?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I was thinking of the same thing for my 68 Fairlane. I currently have a 347 in it. I do have a 390 sitting in the backyard waiting to get built.

I was thinking of a stroker kit. I wanna maybe put a turbo or a supercharger on it, but those plans are still just plans. The 347 still has less than 4000 miles on it, so the 390 build up won't be for a while.

Aside from the obvious, there is not much I could tell you. I am not as knowledgable as some of the other members here, I'm sure they have some good advice for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well a 390 is a good engine. If you are going to go to the expense of building a 390, why not a 428? The expense will be the same no matter what FE engine you build. Where are you located? If in South east area, there are a few cars around that you can get for a steal with a 428. The 5 speed sounds cool!

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I had a 68 gt 390 four speed car. Box stock the car ran best 15.35 on street tires ran it that way just foir the hell of it. over the winter i put a new clutch in it went to a 486 gear 9 inch slicks traction bars removed the power steering with a new center link idler arm and pimat arm. Now the motor it had 86000 miles on it i changed the bump stick to a 510 lift cant remember the duration any more ported out set of 428 cj heads with adjustable rockers edlebrock dual plane intake with an 800 cfm holly on it dual point ford distributor set to full advance @ 2100 cut a hole it the hood and put a boss 429 hood scoop on it solid steel spark plug wire i still have the coil wire very noisy in the radios hooker headers with cherry boms there was no flow masters back then mr gasket bang shifter. Car ran high 12's @ best of 108 mph. No 60 foots in them days either. Had a blast in that car.

·
Registered
541 Posts
This is what im planing for my 390 in my 66 Fairlane GT:

750 dp
edelbrock streetmaster intake
edelbrock RPM Heads
harland sharp roller rockers
Comp Cam 294s [email protected] .050 .605 lift
Hooker Headers 1 3/4x33x3
11 to 1 comp.
close ratio toploader
9-inch with 3.90 posi

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 66Fairlane on 3/11/02 2:53am ]</font>

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to everyone who answered me.This will be my 1st car that I will be building so I am trying to get all the information that I can befor I start.I will be useing the car for cruiser with some hp.I have to start from the ground up and it needs almost everything!!! And I would like to know where I can get flow charts at? I have Dest top dyno 2000 so i can build a motor in there without useing any money at frist.So any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Mav

1 - 7 of 7 Posts