Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted earlier about my 390 backfiring through the exhaust when you let off of the gas. I got lots of suggestions from everybody here and tried just about everything. Somebody with a 390 mustang had the same problem, so he took it to get the motor on an analyzer. The back cylinder on the passenger side spark wasnt sparking all of the time and letting raw gas go into the exhaust. The problem was the edelbrock performer manifold where the vacuum line was on the back of the manifold. They put the vacuum hole on the #4 runner, so when I tied into the vacuum for my vacuum advance, and for my transmission, when the car had a big vacuum change from low to high, it would "blow" or "suck" the spark out. I capped off that hole and ran my vacuum through the carb and it fixed it. It now runs alot better and no backfires. Look at where the brass plug is located on that runner.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
VERY interesting! Thanks for sharing!

Something you dont think about.

(Gals lookin killer!)

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
So, are you still running the Tranni Vacuum canister off of the same port as your distributor? If so, is it the timed vacuum port or the one under the carb?

If it the one under the carb, you will be pulling on the vacuum cannister for your distributor at Idle, and that is not a favorable condition for the spark advance, unless that is what your engine likes for a better idle, and move vacuum signal at idle.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mikes66, I have the transmission running off of the back of the carb, and the vacuum advance on the front of the carb from the timed vacuum port. It does idle better that way, then the way I had it at the always on vacuum.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts