Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie LTD, 390-4v
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

Replacing the heat shield on my 390 and looking for a little help, advice...

From what I have read, the motor came stock with a heat shield between
head and exhaust manifold...no gasket? Correct so far?

My auto parts store sold me a new felpro heat shield (looks just like stock) AND a gasket (with perforated steel on side facing manifold). The "computer" said to use both.

My question to you all, should I use the gasket? heat shield? use both? use copper RTV? all of the above?

My plan...until I am corrected...is to put:

1) bead of RTV copper around port on head, 2) heat shield 3) bead of RTV copper 4) gasket perforated side toward manifold, 4) bead of copper RTV on manifold 5) manifold???

Close?

I realize honing the manifold first is probably best, but not sure it is in my budget. Anyone have an estimate for me?

Thanks everyone...look forward to the responses.

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
I got one exhaust manifold planed for $50. I needed it but it seemed a little strong since the same shop bored my block .030 for $125.

·
Premium Member
1,058 Posts
Did a 351C one time along with the side of the head, they charged more for the manifold. They said the manifold was harder to get set up to make the cut. For me if something has been allowed to leak I don't have much luck sealing it back up for long unless both surfaces are milled.

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
dmp, scroll down to the section "Similar Threads." You might get some info there. Otherwise I can only offer the following pictorial advice:

Attachments

·
Registered
924 Posts
I would skip the perforated composition gasket. I used them because they were in the engine overhaul gasket set and they didn't last 1000 miles before blowing out. I don't know about the copper rtv. I used a solid copper gasket and it's been good for 10,000 miles now. I'd just give it a go with just the heat shield.
Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts