Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 390 1963 C3AE-E . engine cast, will it bolt into my 1962 Galaxie 500, it has a 352 engine in it now. Also will it bolt onto my original transmission?

·
Registered
257 Posts
There might be some differences mating the engine to the transmissions if one is a stick with a flywheel and the other is an automatic with a flex plate. You'd have to use the right parts to match the transmission you're using. Hopefully that makes sense. Also be aware that there is an "early" and "late" starter. The early flywheels/flex plates were 153 tooth, the newer ones were 184 tooth. So obviously you have to use the correct starter if you are switching from one to the other. Finally (I think) there is or should be a thin plate between the engine and bellhousing. I think that was always the case, manual or automatic, but not 100% sure. In either case, it's important to keep it if it's there. Starter alignment for one is effected.

Pat

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, it is a automatic, the 390 came out of a Thunderbird, the casting on the block C3AE-6015-E, what I have read is a PI block, not for sure, hydraulic lifters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts