Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently developed a small exhaust leak on the left rear cyl (nearest the master cyl - # 8 I believe).

The leak started small. I thought the exhaust gasket had failed - so I replaced the gasket. that did not fix the leak. The leak is around the lower manifold bolt!

What causes this? Why? What is the remedy?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
If you managed to get the manifold off without breaking a couple of bolts the rest is easy...I would remove the manifold again and check the gasket surface for straightness.You may have to have it machined flat to get a good seal.Make sure the head is nice and clean as well..Also if you still have a factory heat riser installed make sure it is working properly.I used to have a 66 mercury that blew exhaust gaskets and the heat riser was stuck nearly closed so all the exhaust was forced out through one side of the motor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, you think the manifold has warped? Are you familiar with the FE head set up? You don't think <shudder> that it's a crack in the head, do you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, 8 bolt.

Dumb question - would doubling up on the gaskets suffice until I can find a replacement or have time to grind this one down?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts