Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so this was my project car with my dad's help, but he died and now i need your help (as i don't know that much about engines). I don't know all the specifics, but he dumped 10k into the engine as a gift for my working on the car nearly every day for over 2 years. The problem is that the car dyno'd with some ungodly amount of torque (350-400) and no horsepower (100-150). I'll list all the parts i can remember:

390 block, re-machined and completely cleaned up. ported, balanced, and bored over (maybe 30? i think i remember him saying it was now a 406).
a 427 crank
comp cams
edelbrock aluminum manifold
?rockers(i think i remember they were orange, if that helps)
4bbl street avenger carb (?size?)
msd everything
and others. i don't think there was anything stock.

i think the problem is the transmission, as it remains the stock cruis-o-matic 3 speed, albeit rebuilt.
i asked my brother to put the finishing touches on it, as i was going off to school. he took it to a friend's speed shop where they said it needed a new, custom torque converter. so he got that and it didn't do anything. now they say it needs a c6 tranny, but i'm hesitant to take their advice (particularly since it's my money now, and i'm poor!).
i suppose the problem could be some kind of incompatibility of a part in the engine, but it runs fine, it's just very weak. maybe the carb is too big?

i would REALLY appreciate any help or suggestions here. If my parts list is inadequate, let me know, i think i can dig up most of the information if i call around. Thanks!

edit: clarification
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: stormer13 on 8/22/06 6:49am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: stormer13 on 8/23/06 4:01am ]</font>

·
Registered
749 Posts
you have a 396 ci engine if you went .030 over on a 390 block. The 427 and the 390 have the same stroke. To make a 390 a 406 you would have to bore it .080.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So it's not a stroker. Hm... I don't think my dad did enough research on this one. Actually, we're having the same problem with our '64 and a half mustang: beefy engine, no power to the wheels--and a 3 speed tranny. I just want to make sure that's the main problem before i blow my cash on a tci or something.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Most of the problem may be in the heads. Edlebrock makes a set of aftermaket aluminum heads for FEs. You can work the heck outta a set of stock heads, but it is hard to beat today's tech in aluminum heads. Then get something like an old Holley 750 VS carb. By the way, which Edlebrock aluminum intake do you have? The Performer or Performer RPM?

P.S. Air in, Air out - what exhaust size do you have?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 63SportsCoupe on 8/23/06 11:02am ]</font>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the performer rpm heads and the performer rpm manifold. The carb i have on there is the holley street avenger 750. The exhaust is 2 1/2 inch with dual flowmasters and a crossover.

·
Registered
21 Posts
400ft/lbs of torque at the rear wheels sounds very healthy if this is a street driven car. The horsepower figure looks strange. It should be the same as the torque numbers or higher. Looks like dyno operator error to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe, but the fact remains that the car is Slow, as in 0-60 in 20 seconds slow. Slow but steady; the engine runs smooth as a dream, starts right up and turns off without deiseling.
Would the 3 speed tranny be to blame?

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
What are the rearend gears? Might be a set of highway cruising gears. Those will screwup dynos big time and make you slow from a standstill.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Does the engine seem to run ok?.If you rev it in park does it rev quickly and cleanly?What about if you put the tranny in low gear and nail it,does it feel powerful then?..What kind of exhaust system,headers do you have?..How about the camshaft specs?..This is a really strange problem.With the parts that you've listed so far the engine should be really strong regardless of the rear end gears and trans unless the trans is malfunctioning.When you say its slow to 60mph is the engine bogging or revving high,can you describe that better?

·
Registered
21 Posts
DOH! frdnut figured it out. CRUIS-O-MATIC! Might be starting out in second gear. Dang how did I miss that.
Try his suggestion. Manually shift it into low gear and punch it. You might be surprised.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Make sure the linkage will allow a shift into 1st gear... it may be out of adjustment and not going all the way into 1st at the tranny.

FE

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
As far as the dyno goes - HP is just a CALCULATION, not a measurement. If it's making 400 ft/lbs at - say 5000 RPM (you didn't give specifics) then it's making 380 HP at that same 5000 RPM. Sound like the dyno operator has a real problem, not the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts