Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found what I think is a 390, (could be a 360) its out of a truck, any way to tell the 2 apart, I want to use the crank and rods in my 70 F100, I know i can pull the pan and check the crank number, but is there an easier way?
Also what part number should the crank have and were will it be located?

·
Registered
629 Posts
On 2002-01-23 12:24, MGT351 wrote:
I found what I think is a 390, (could be a 360) its out of a truck, any way to tell the 2 apart, I want to use the crank and rods in my 70 F100, I know i can pull the pan and check the crank number, but is there an easier way?
Also what part number should the crank have and were will it be located?

According to the book "Ford Performance" if out of a truck it might be a 391 crank. That would be a steel unit with the same bearing sizes as other FE engines, but the front must be turned down to 1.375 inches to fit a smaller passenger car dampner and pu;;ey, then get it rebalanced. It's part # was C7TE-6303-B, but the book didn't say the casting number location. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Pull the spark plug out of one of the cylinders and feed a small dowel straight down onto the piston have someone bump the engine over and mark the dowel at its highest and lowest points witha marker 3 1/2 inch bewteen the marks is a 360 3 3/4" is a 390

·
Registered
456 Posts
FE427TP:
What about a 428? What is the dim for it?

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Fe's can be very difficult if not impossible to tell apart without having a look inside the engine.I bought a"390" out of a 63 t-bird,in the wreckers.The motor was the correct colour,still had the steel tag under the coil bolt identifying it as a 390 had the proper head codes etc.Imagine my shock when I tore it down a couple of years later to find out it was a 352 shortblock.If you could send us some numbers off the crank it would be a big help.Also the 361 and 391 FT motors only came in big trucks not in half tons,or cars so if you know what it came out of and the year originally that would also be a big help.Its not that hard to pull the pan if you really want to be sure.I have numbers for the cranks but they're too numerous too list here, but if you tell me what you find I'll look it up.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Were on the crank will i find the casting number? If the weather is good tomorrow, I will go look at them, turns outh there are 2 of them one is just the bottom end and the other is complete.

·
Registered
127 Posts
On 2002-01-24 10:02, RonMeyer wrote:
FE427TP:
What about a 428? What is the dim for it?
for just a mark on a dowel look for 4" of movement from top to bottom of stroke, unless you have something that marks finer than .02

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Look along the edges of the counter weights for the numbers.You might need some varsol or gas or something to wipe them off if they are gungy (Hopefully not) but look carefully, if they are just stamped in sometimes their easy to miss.As for the one with no top end just measure the stroke of the piston in the cylinder,3.50 is a 360 3.78 is a 390.Measure carefully as were not talking a huge difference here depending on what your using to measure with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts