Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1965 ford galaxy

I want to make this car fast with about 400-450 horse, should i keep this motor or used another,is it reliable, too costly, won't make enough hp. what's your opinion on this motor or should i put a chevy motor in it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Malik2 on 11/16/06 11:03pm ]</font>

PICTURE: http://www.mnsportbikeriders.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9652

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Malik2 on 11/16/06 11:09pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
What he's saying is, WHAT THE HELL IS IT GOING INTO??????

Which is just a little something that was left out....

·
Registered
981 Posts
CHEVY????????? WTF are you thinking? They are fine don't get me wrong, for chevy cars/trucks but even if you don't go with a 390, Ford does make other engines that are cheaper to build. Take the small block, plentiful, reliable and 350 chev cheap to build, give or take a few $$$. A big block more your thing? The 460 may be more $ than a 454, but not by much. There becomes a certain point where it's the hp number that costs more versus brand. Chrysler is still one of the most expensive though. A good 390 with an Edelbrock package yields about 425 hp's and not too much $ either. My vote is for that, but to each his own.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok i made alittle boo boo

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Malik2 on 11/16/06 11:37pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Ok, I just saw that a 600+ hp Ford 514 ci motor in Jegs in under $9K. I spend about $11K on converting an FE 360 into a 431 and it has just under 500 hp. If you want cool factor do the FE kit from Edelbrock and you'll get around 410 hp. If you want power swap out the old FE for the 514 and slap a C-6 behind it. 600 hp is plenty for the old boats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much is the kit........

can you give me a breakdown/cost of what i need,example:

header $200
intake $200
carbs $200
cam $200
pozzy traction??

blower???

can you give me an idea what i'm looking at....

how much hp do i need to be competitive on street.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
nice, thanks....how much hp do you think that'll add with that package

·
Registered
189 Posts
Its amazing that alot of people think a che.y can make so much horsepower. If you ask most people the answer is 500 always 500hp! Horsepower is still related to cubic money. The 514 is one of the best deals out there. But I'm an FE guy , I like the way they fit in the chassis. Some chivys at the strip seem like you could run air tools off the valve covers and they are not 500hp! FE's seem to hold up well under torture look how many are still running around. JMO

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Build a STOCK 1962 FE 390 Tripower and you will START with 410 HP...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I like the FE also. Plus I already had spent the money on the heads and other stuff when I decided to rebuild the motor. It does cost more but how many people out there can really say they have a mean FE motor. The cool factor for having a motor that hardly anyone else has offsets the cost in my mind. Hell if I wanted to be like everyone else I'd a built a stang or a maro.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
400-450 hp is a very easy goal. 351w, stroker 302, 390 or a 428 with some good heads, street build 460 !! Its all in what you want, But for the love of PETE, Knock it off with the GM Crap...................

1 - 15 of 15 Posts