Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I am building a 390 and have some valve to piston concerns. She is intended to be a very rude street machine. anyway, before I expect answers, I guess I should give you all the info I can.

I have a 67 300 hp 390 block with less than 100,000 on it. It has sat and "seasoned" for several years. ;) I am going to have the block tanked and checked, decked just enough to make sure she is flat and square, the mains line bored, cylinders bored 30 over, I am polishing rods, the crank will be turned 10, I will fix all of the oil hole alignment problems, and she will be balanced.

Heads are 428 CJ heads. they will also be checked and trued if needed. A three angle valve job, new springs retainers and locks from my cam manufacturer, new valve guilds and seals, yada, yada. The combustion chambers volume will be checked and matched, the plugs deshrouded, and everything polished.

the intake I am leaning toward is an edlebrock performer RPM 71051. It and the heads will be port matched. a 1" phenolic spacer and an 850 holley double pumper will sit on her.

I have a procomp HEI 6000 series distributor sitting around for it. they are just so easy to drop in and set up.

My cam is a Bullet. It will be set up hydraulic and I will check every push rod and order the correct lengths. its provided specs are as follows
FE 285/292-H108+4
INT. MASTER#H285/3065
EXH. MASTER#H292/315
[email protected]=233/240
LIFT=.540/.554
LSA=108
INT. C/L=104

Good premium fuel is no problem around here and I want to sit between 9.5 and 10 to 1 compression. I am looking at KB Silvolite 1131h hypereutectic pistons, but can find no data on the depth of the valve reliefs. They say if I am concerned they have a kb150 that will more than handle it. It is dished and would sit me at 8.9 ish to one with a .040 head gasket.

I would like your thoughts on my pistons (or something maybe that would work better) and any polite suggestions anywhere else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I see a few have looked this over, as this is my first thread, could I sucker someone into saying "that thing should be a beast" or "holy crap that won't work" or something? lol. I understand that many of the folks here are not FE guys, and that of the ones that are, less than half will have the experience to make a comment on my plea for help. not all FE guys care to build meaner than stock. Still, I don't know why it matters, but I'd like an opinion or two on the old girl. I have gone over this engine and can answer any questions you all have as to what parts I plan on using where and often even a why. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
If your main concern is piston to valve clearence I dont see any isses however you can only be sure by checking it during the build process. I would stay with the higher CR. My 2cents.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Do your homework before buying anything !
have block decked so whatever piston you choose is even with the deck at top dead center, no concern with valve to piston clearance with that small cam,(verify on mock-up assembly using clay in the pockets on the piston top) calculate static AND daynamic compression using one of the on-line calculators, shoot for 10.5 - 10.7:1 static and 8.0:1 dynamic) be sure to degree the cam when assembling, go to FORDFE.com and/or FEPOWER.net for more in depth info on the FE seriers engines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts