Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a 300 I6 and on other forums it was mentioned that 390 pistons will work in the 300 I6. They have the correct rod pin size of .9752 and are 4.050 bore size. The problem is finding the part number for a forged flat top 390 slug. TRW was said to be good and affordable, but what part number? Does anyone have a part number or any suggestions? I have learned a LOT by reading this site and fordsix.com, and cannot wait to get my 27 T HiBoy on the road!

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Tell me more bout your 300! My bro and I built one for his 84 F-150 that flat hauled ass. Its a 300 HD (forged goodies inside) with the head and block milled to give us about 9.5 to 1. Used the clifford intake headers and stage 1 cam combo. Topped it off with a lil holley 390 (gonna go with a 600 when its put back in the truck) I loved that lil motor. Thing would do 100 in 2nd gear! (2.75 diff) Cant wait till the 4x4 switch is completed. Thats one fun lil shortbed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad you like 300's! I am still building the frame/body right now, but soon I will start on the engine. Hope to have stock lower end, arp bolts, bored over .050 so I can use the 390 flat top forged pistons with stock massaged rods, cr around 10.1. Crane 270H cam and chevy 6 roller rocker arms and springs(1.75 ratio), chevy 1.94/1.60 valves, ported/pollished, DUI distrib, Offy c series intake, Holley 600, C6 with 1st 2 gears lowered, not sure on converter yet, 8" rear with probably 3.40 gears, efi engine shorty exhaust manifolds. This is my first rod and am I having fun! I hope to get it running by Oct. Should be pretty quick in a 2k # rod. First priority is to beat the sbc's and then maybe give you Ford V8 guys a hard time!! Check out fordsix.com - full of ford 6 info...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nice to see someone building a 300 six, my first truck had one that I rebilult with the 390 pistons, clifford 1ntake, 600 ebrock, crower? cam. I set it up so it pulled from 1200 up to 3700, I wish i had done some better port work on the head. I still have some thought's of putting it into a fox mustang.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts