Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 64 390, I had to replace the rear cam plug, it was put in backwards by the previous owner, by rear I mean the back of the engine where it bolts up to the transmission.

I see three hole where bolts can go around the cam plug, is there some type of cover plate that bolts there to the block? There isn't one on my engine now.

If yes, what purpose does it serve? Is it needed, Any ideas where I can find one?

Thanks
Patrick

·
Registered
83 Posts
The cam plug on the back of the block DOES go in backwards. Backward, meaning the opposite of the way a freeze plug is installed. Lip to the inside. This is very important, otherwise it will have interference problems and have to come back out. I am not picturing the 3 holes you mention, but there is no plate on the back in this area.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Does Does it looksa like this only without the cup and casket? I'm not for sure what engine this is. I always aviation permatex these plugs which the person that shot this photo did.

Don't know where you can get one of these.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
That's not a 302. It's a FE block.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Oops thought I saw 302.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just cuss it has '352' cast into it does not make it a 352 ci...could be but not necessarily. It is FE.
Soft plug but installed backwards.

·
Registered
217 Posts
As the others have said, you need the dished out portion of the big plug to go toward the cam. And the other small plugs back there simply seal up the drilled oil passages...lotsa guys thread those hole to accept threaded plugs.

·
Premium Member
5,915 Posts
The 352 pic by HotR will be correct for your 390. The three oil galley plugs are screw-ins with allen heads.

Most FE's have a block plate that hangs from dowels between the engine and the bellhousing. It is about the shape of the bellhousing with a circle cut in it the starter fits through. It usually has holes so the cam plug and the three oil galley plugs can poke through. I believe the purpose is to ensure folks on the assembly line properly located the starter. I have also heard that when Ford changed transmissions in the early 60's, that's when the block plate was needed. Maybe someone who knows will clarify the situation and when you need one.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Block plate was used starting in 1963. It is to locate the starter. Before that Ford used a rubber seal there. If the starter area on the bellhousing has a groove where the starter bolts then no block plate is needed just the rubber seal. The seal used to come in gasket sets. Not sure any more. Cam Plug on a FE is installed just the opposite of the way freeze (core) plugs are. The 3 oil galley plugs are threaded some times but not always. Not all block plates have the holes for the oil galley plugs and cam plug. Mostly the early ones don't.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys, makes sense now. Bad news is rear main seal is leaking after all, cam plug was put in backwards by previous owner. The "plate" between the block and trans kept the plug from completely falling out, it spun in place and was oozing oil.

Engine is out, going back in tomorrow.
Thanks again,
Patrick.

·
Premium Member
5,915 Posts
Block plate was used starting in 1963. It is to locate the starter. Before that Ford used a rubber seal there. If the starter area on the bellhousing has a groove where the starter bolts then no block plate is needed just the rubber seal. The seal used to come in gasket sets. Not sure any more.

I had a 58 MX put in last year and used a block plate. I have some run-on after letting off the starter, do you think it could be because of the block plate? Maybe it is adding 1/8" to the gear contact? Or maybe because I used an Autozone starter?

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
There are all kinds of possibilities. Did you use the early flywheel (flex plate)? Early starter or late starter? Your bellhousing or the early one?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts