Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short story, I've never built a 390 before, lots of other motors. I just want a reliable motor for a 1970 F100 4x4 C-6. I would like to get more cubic inches, crank change? block change? What heads, aftermarket aluminum? I don't want to change engine styles, I've built Boss 302's and 351's, chevy's big and small and Hemi's but not the FE motor, not yet. Could someone help with idea's, I'm looking for 500+ hp.
Thanks

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Short story, I've never built a 390 before, lots of other motors. I just want a reliable motor for a 1970 F100 4x4 C-6. I would like to get more cubic inches, crank change? block change? What heads, aftermarket aluminum? I don't want to change engine styles, I've built Boss 302's and 351's, chevy's big and small and Hemi's but not the FE motor, not yet. Could someone help with idea's, I'm looking for 500+ hp.
Thanks
you have built other engines !!! OK

"block change" , . good idea . get a Genesis block . call them at (317) 357 8767

·
Registered
201 Posts
mid 70s hd truck block, bore to 428 ci. scat 428 crank. edelbrock alum heads, trw 428 stock replacement pistons for 10.7 comp. performer rpm intake 750 holley double pumper, newer hp if possible. high pressure oil pump and high flow oil filter housing aftermarket or 428 cj. comp 292h cam. dyno was 462 hp. runs 11.71 1968 cyclone and that is with stock cast iron 428 cj heads and a factory 428 pi interceptor intake.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anybody have a suggestion on cam size? Does the orignal valvetrain have lift limits? How about duration at .050, whats a good number 240 to 250 degrees? I know Ford made a lot of different heads or go aftermarket?
Any input would help, I'm helping my son with this project.

·
Registered
841 Posts
never read Barry's book , but can say he knows the FE engine

Plus Barry is good source for FE performance parts
Truth. There's almost no reason to ever ask a question regarding building an FE. Its THAT comprehensive.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Truth. There's almost no reason to ever ask a question regarding building an FE. Its THAT comprehensive.
agree , konw how to build engines , different brands , Ford ,Chevy and Hemi's . there should be no need to ask about any push rod engine

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Buy the Barry R and Jay Brown books. For a combined total of $50 or so, it'll save you $100's when building the engine. Jay's especially is such information overload.... just awesome.

·
Registered
27 Posts
> I would like to get more cubic inches

Starting with a 390, the easiest thing to do is to install a stroker kit.
Barry R. an internally balanced kit that will increase the displacement to
445 cubic inches using a SCAT 9000 series cast crank, choice of pistons
(dished or flat top), SCAT I-beam rods, rings, bearings, etc. for $1950.

Survival FE Engine Kits
Ford 390 FE - Car Craft Magazine

> aftermarket aluminum

Depends upon what your needs are and what you're starting with. Some
of the factory iron heads can be made to work well in a truck application.
The usual upgrade is a set of Edelbrock aluminum heads. There are other
heads but those typically aren't used on the smaller bore 390 blocks.

Get Barry's book, Jay Brown's book (The Great FE Intake Comparo) and the
Steve Christ book (How To Rebuild Your Big Block Ford).

> mid 70s hd truck block, bore to 428 ci

He's referring to the reverse 105 block. These have to be checked, some
will go to a 428's bore, others will not.

Dan Jones

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've ordered Barry's book. I like the Car Craft build. I'll look for the other book listed. I just trying to get as many cubic inches possible without running into problems. I've never had any valve train problems with the street small block Fords (.550 lift) or race big block chevys (.800 lift) cams, BUT I've spent a lot money on race hemi's valvetrain (.850 lift). I just want some insight to the FE valvetrain, I would to put it together once. Rocker shafts? Rocker arms? Adjusters? Pushrods? My sister use to have a stock 1970 mach 1 with a SCJ 428, it only ran 14.40's in the quarter mile. I always thought it had more power available. I have a 1970 Boss 302, headers, different cam and some carb. work, it runs 13.08's all day long.
Any help with ideas on the valvetrain would be great. I'm going to order the Edelbrock heads.
Thanks

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I've ordered Barry's book. I like the Car Craft build. I'll look for the other book listed. I just trying to get as many cubic inches possible without running into problems. I've never had any valve train problems with the street small block Fords (.550 lift) or race big block chevys (.800 lift) cams, BUT I've spent a lot money on race hemi's valvetrain (.850 lift). I just want some insight to the FE valvetrain, I would to put it together once. Rocker shafts? Rocker arms? Adjusters? Pushrods? My sister use to have a stock 1970 mach 1 with a SCJ 428, it only ran 14.40's in the quarter mile. I always thought it had more power available. I have a 1970 Boss 302, headers, different cam and some carb. work, it runs 13.08's all day long.
Any help with ideas on the valvetrain would be great. I'm going to order the Edelbrock heads.
Thanks
get a set of T&D shaft rockers

I also had a 70 SCJ Mach1 , that what it ran showroom 14.3/14.4 . headers , removel of rpm limiter ,, changed ALL the timings and a jet size or two . 12.23 . your right there was a lot to be had

1 - 12 of 12 Posts