Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading about roller motors as a way to make serious horsepower, I'm building a 390, 30 over. flat tops(pump gas you know),C 6, and tentatively a 355 rear screw. Can anybody clue me in on roller cams. I heard that crane has an FE roller. Am I nuts?
I'm still on the fence regarding heads. Everybody here is telling me to go Edelbrock.I have access to a pair of 428CJ heads, but they'll cost me near as much as the Edelbrocks.I found a set of NOS cast iron headers and couldn't resist them.
Also, has anybody out there tried a AOD with an Ultrabell adapter behind an FE? It sure would be nice to run a 4/11.
All this stuff is going in a 67 Galaxie. It will be a "fun" car only,not a daily driver.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I have been reading lots of posts about big problems with the Crane hydraulic rollers in FE's. No one can get them to rev over 5200 even with stronger springs than Crane recommends. Thje Ebok heads are great on the FE, would work well for your combo. Don't know about the cast iron headers for a perf car. Headers are better and the FE really needs to breath on the exhaust side. The RPM intake is a good piece too.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey Mario,
Can you elaborate at all? I was going to use one of these retro-roller cams in my 390.
Also do you know if Scat has ever come out with those FE cranks it was promising?

Ta,
Pete.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/thread?forumid=21142&messageid=1017951023

Check out the link above if only to see the pictures of the all aluminum FE.
Take note of the post by Rob MacQ who does a lot of FE building and has tested lots on a dyno.
The Scat FE cranks are starting to be like the Victor intake. 3 years after the first promised date there may be some cranks available that are not billet.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
THere is a guy I know who runs a 428 at a track I occasionally race at. His Motor has the CRane hydraulic roller and he says it will not pull over 5300 so he simply does not rev it to there. He runs 10.90's and keeps the motor under 5100, can we say a torque monster.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay,So Mario 428 scared the tar out of me with that link.I guess the roller thing for the street is not a real great idea.But what about an AOD behind the FE.Has anybody tried it?Don't they have an Ultrabell to hook it up?What else is required(machining), or should I grit my teeth and put a Gearvenders "over-underdrive on the tailshaft of my C6.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
OK so dont freak on me again BUT Lentech has a bellhousing to put an AOD behind an FE BUT you can only buy it bolted to one of their AOD's and the price will floor you. But may not be a lot more than the overdrive.
AS far as I know there is no Ultrabell for an FE, BBF means 429-460 Ford when you see it in a catalog or website. If anybody sells anything for an FE they specify.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I read recently that someone is making an FE bellhousing for the AOD. There is a lot of machining involved since it's apples/oranges. However, I think the tranny and housing are a package deal. I think it was almost a grand higher than the GV overdrive. At lease with the GV overdrive you get the strength of the C6. The AOD requires work to compare with a non-modified C6 strengthwise.

·
Registered
127 Posts
On 2002-04-23 14:16, phord wrote:
Okay,So Mario 428 scared the tar out of me with that link.I guess the roller thing for the street is not a real great idea.

So Uhm, how much time are you planning on spending on the street with the engine above 5300RPM? if someone already got their 428 to run 10's like that is it really going to be much of a problem? and like DF on another message forum brought up no one seems to have tried a rev kit yet(has springs directly on the lifter and you can run lighter springs for the valvetrain only)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts