Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys!!!!....got a 1962 galaxie 390.got old starter out wiggled it enough finally fell out.now tryin to get new one in and its being a pain.does anyone have a little trick to get it back in?......i am gettin frustrated!!!!!!...guess imn gonna have to call the wife out and let her put it in!!!!!!!.....LOL!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
A lot of times it is easier to put it back in if you take the idler arm loose and swing it out of the way. If you have the original long style starter the 62 came with they can be a real pain.

·
Premium Member
5,858 Posts
Will the starter from a later year work? Maybe just exchange the one you got. My 65 went in ok though I'll admit I still don't remember if I used all three bolts...

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
If it is the original transmission for a 62 it has the different flexplate or flywheel. The tooth count is completely different.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
And don't put that hard top bolt back in, Ford didn't know what they were doing by putting 3 bolts in. Two will hold it ok. LOL!!!!!

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
I always figured that top bolt was there to give the new people on the assembly line something to do. A sort of hazing ritual of sorts.
When I first pulled the starter off of my 62 I had to loosen my idler arm to change it. Later on I pulled it off for some forgotten reason and I did not. Between the two times I had replaced the motor mounts. I guess they were sagging a little.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
I remember vividly the day I bought an 18" extension off the MAC TRUCK just for 390 starters. Made that top cap screw a lot easier to get to.

...uh...

Make that a 24" ext.

I am always getting my lengths confused. Just ask the girls I have dated... :frown:

·
Registered
572 Posts
wiggle it, twist it, flip it, cram it, bang it, drop it, smash your finger, get dirt in your eye and then it will go in. Use all three bolts, they are there for a reason. Ford did not screw up, no punishment for the new guys on the line. (although that is really funny). On the side of the road at 1am and the starter won't start, is a bad time to figure out your starter has come loose because you only used two bolts. Yes I got to do that twice. good luck!

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
wiggle it, twist it, flip it, cram it, bang it, drop it, smash your finger, get dirt in your eye and then it will go in.

Use all three bolts, they are there for a reason.

Ford did not screw up, no punishment for the new guys on the line. (although that is really funny). On the side of the road at 1am and the starter won't start, is a bad time to figure out your starter has come loose because you only used two bolts. Yes I got to do that twice.

good luck!
Thank You!

Nothing like a loose starter ruining a perfectly good ring gear either... :eek:

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Thank You!

Nothing like a loose starter ruining a perfectly good ring gear either... :eek:
I had to replace a starter and broken flexplate on a 64 Bird due to that very issue. Guy used 2 bolts, one worked out, the other snapped and the running engine broke the shaft and caused all sorts of damage...
Luckily it didn't break the bell housing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys for your help.JIM 4 i did all the wiggling,cramming and dirt in my eye but did not smash my finger....not yet anyway.i will work on it some more.if you guys hear any yelling from northern ca. that will be me!!!!!....LOL!!!!....thanks again men

1 - 12 of 12 Posts