Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, new to the forum and have a couple questions. I have a 1967 Cougar that came with a small block. I am in the process of swapping in a 390 and am wondering what kind of motor mounts I use. The block is from a 64 thunderbird. I believe the motor mount bolt pattern changed in 65 but not sure. I was also under the impression that the frame mounts were the same for the small block and big block in 67 cougars/mustangs, is this true? Pictures would be very helpful and thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
Your block is fine, it is a 4 bolt which will be the same as later 390 or 428. Even the earlier blocks can be used, but takes a little drilling of the mounts and doesn't apply to you

Nothing will be very cheap or parts store accessible, but it is all the same as Mustang

If you wanted to go aftermarket, something like this would be easy to get, but they can vibrate a little, the benefit is that they aren't rare, and they are captured mounts so they can never completely break

However, if you want to go stock, you need 3 pieces.

1 - The FE frame mounts (similar to yours and some guys drill small block ones to rock them inward,

2 - The block adapters (metal)
3 - The insulators (rubbber)

Here is a kit

They work absolutely fine, but if they break, the engine can jump up and hit the hood or fan shroud, unlike the aftermarket. Of course the aftermarket can be a little buzzy because of less rubber, need to see what fits your needs better

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
No issues, I have built an FE Mustang or two :) easy and happy to help

·
Registered
4 Posts
I found the aftermarket OEM style FE mounts (rubber laminated to metal) are junk. Bought one from a major online racing supplier and the rubber de-laminated from the metal as I was trying to install it. Had problems several years ago as well- pop the clutch and the rubber de laminated causing the engine to crash into the hood, clutch pivot lever falls out etc. There is no safety bolt holding the motor in place.

Solid metal mounts are an option as suggested above.

If you want a rubber isolated mount consider an aftermarket design which has a long bolt running in the direction of the crank shaft.
This type uses rubber as an insulator only, not to keep the motor anchored in place.

·
Premium Member
3,924 Posts
I found the aftermarket OEM style FE mounts (rubber laminated to metal) are junk. Bought one from a major online racing supplier and the rubber de-laminated from the metal as I was trying to install it. Had problems several years ago as well- pop the clutch and the rubber de laminated causing the engine to crash into the hood, clutch pivot lever falls out etc. There is no safety bolt holding the motor in place.

Solid metal mounts are an option as suggested above.

If you want a rubber isolated mount consider an aftermarket design which has a long bolt running in the direction of the crank shaft.
This type uses rubber as an insulator only, not to keep the motor anchored in place.

FYI, I did not recommend solid mounts and would not, the aftermarket ones I listed above were the same as the ones you did.

Solid mounts have no place in an early Mustang, beyond the noise, the front end isn't designed to take the harmonics and shock of a launch.

I do agree completely though that repop mounts can be touch and go. I used NAPA in mine and through bolted them to ensure they would hold with a big inch FE

·
Registered
235 Posts
I found out my driver side mount was separated after I bought the car, so I ordered two new ones and through-bolted them both for good measure:

broken driver's mount.jpg
IMG_3479.JPG
IMG_3481.JPG
IMG_3482.JPG

1 - 7 of 7 Posts