Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey got my first FE in a 72 f250. Now that I got all the exhaust leaks fixed I noticed that the right side sounds like the lifters are tapping and the left side sounds normal. Is that normal for an FE? Got plenty of oil pressure and of course oil.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks I'll give that a shoot next weekend

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
When you have it off, rotate the engine until you get each set of valves closes and check for gaps between the rocker tip and the valves first off.
How is that done with hydraulic tappets?

:confused:

...starting to sound like mumbles...

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
He is looking for ROOM. If there is room to place a feeler gauge between the stem and rocker tip, there is a problem with that lifter...
:confused:

Room? You mean air gap? Wouldn't he have to collapse the tappet to determine that? If there is actual room without collapsing the lifter(s), then most likely the push-rod would have become loose and bent wouldn't you think?

What about that twirly-finger thing you do? Does that come into play in a situation such as this?

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
No twirly fingers here, I don't use that method as noted in another thread...

If he has movement (yes an air gap--- I was speaking in terms anyone can understand.... simply meaning if he can insert a feeler gauge between rocker tip and valve stem) of the rocker arm when at TDC then there is the possibility of a lifter issue, or a worn cam, or a bent pushrod, etc... (twisting pushrod will show if it's bent, but not tell you anything about the lifter)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts