Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never had a Windsor, always Clevelands but thought about getting one and stroking to either 393 or 408 would these strokers be ok for street use?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GTHO4 on 2/17/02 4:41pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
GTH04...

I am very happy with my 408W stroker!! It has a lot of low end torque and will wind to 6000 RPM's effortlessly......It is set up to go to 7500, but I think the intake would limit it to 6500 or so??

The only problem I had was "Run-On" when I turned the ignition off!! Since it won't idle well below about 1000 RPM's, I installed an A/C idle solenoid so that the throttle butterfly closes when ignition is turned off and it works perfectly.

Oh yes, if you build one with a pre-'82 block, be sure to use a shim on the rear main seal journal!!!! If you don't you may end up with a "LEAK FROM HELL" like I did!!! The shim kit will make sure you don't have a leak and is only about $25.00 with the installation tool!!

Good Luck,
Cobrajack

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I'd like to know more about this seal kit. I'm building an engine with a 69 block. Never heard of the problem either.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
85 Mike, those seal kits that Cobrajack is is talking about really work well!

I used to use them when I worked at a engine rebuild shop a few years back.

I forgot what company makes them now,but Ill bet you could get them from almost any good parts store?

The seal is just a thin band of metal that gets put on over the real mains seal surface of the crank.It comes with a tool to install it on the crank without bending it up at all.

Its a good thing to install to make sure that the rear main wont leak there.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Ok! I've used a seal like that before on a sbc crank dampner. Works great.
I suppose it can be installed after the engine is assembled?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts