Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering what I should build here I have a set of victor Jr's to throw on it. this will be a strip car with very limited street use

let me know some opinion on what builds to go with

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Well, if you're torn between the 347 or the 393 (and not considering the 408, 416, or 42
, I'd go with the 393. easier to build, bar none. Rings last longer too. I built one with vic jr heads, and love it. Pulls good up to 7200.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it is going in to a mustang so aside from the headers and oil pan yeah it will fit right in, I was gonna use a tubular K memeber anyways so I should have plenty of clearance.

what should I use for a power adder, blower or nitrous, I would like this to be a fuel injected setup

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Nitro injected blown 393 on nitrous and turbo!
That's personal preferance there but the blower won't need to be refilled every 2-3 passes like the nitrous bottles but nitrous is nice for power on demand so it's still all personal preference.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what kinda positive diplacment blower could I use for something like this, I am not really a turbo person althought I toyed around with the idea of a blown motor with nitrous for extra powere and a cooling effect

let me know what ya think

P.S. I know a guy right now who has a 393 with around a 400 shot and is running 8's I would like to be somwhere around if not faster than him

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I would use a Roots 6-71 or 8-71 blower for instant boost and maybe a small shot of nitrous if needed but chances are if the engine is built to run hard and turn the RPMs, you'll have no problem making the power to run 8s but the traction will be a different story. 8-71 at 10% over with 2 850DPs, 2 1050 Dominators, or 2 large throttle bodies at the line idling and mash the throttle to the floor and instant full boost/full power. No messing with a trans brake or going up against the converter, rather let idle and mash the throttle for instant response and maximum launch. Centrifugal blowers build boost with RPMs and aren't as good for what you want but turbos can make even more power than an 8-71 while being extreemely tame and streetable(until the gas pedal is pushed
). I think nitrous would be the cheapest and easiest but filling the bottles can be a pain in the ass especially if you're using a 350 or larger shot for each pass. Having 4-6 full bottles on hand and hoping not to run out if you go more rounds than expected. It's still personal preference that you must decide for yourself and think about what you're willing to live with either way you go.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
where can I get the lower manifold and pulley setup for the SBF, all the ones I see are for chevy
anyone ever seen a intercooled manifold for one of these. I saw a chiller for the holley 174 blower but it was meant for a 302

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
for some reason in desktop dyno it says I make more peak HP with the 347, the 393 had only 50 more ft lbs but lacked over 50 HP

both of these were figureing in a positive disp blower, so that is where th tourque come from on the 347

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I think Lord viper has a speed problem...lol.

Just kidding! Though I do agree that a good built naturally aspirated 393 is way more than enough to smoke the tires at any speed on street tires. And, I dont think they make 8:1 pistons yet for it to work with a blower/pump gas. Correct me if I'm wrong!

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I don't think there are any off the shelf pistons that have bath tub dish large enough to bring the compression down to 8:1 compression but custom pistons can be ordered though expensive they will make the dish match you exact combustion chamer shape for a very efficient combustion. a N/A 393 with 11:1 compression will live nicely on pump gas and make a lot of power and add some nitrous along with race gas in the tank at the track in place of the pump gas and you'll make plenty of power. The Desktop Dyno 2000 program sucks for blown and nitrous computations and is very inaccurate in those regards.

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you want efi and a positive displacement blower why not look into a Kenne Bell/Autorotor supercharger. Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords have been doing a series of acticles on them lately and they seem to be a really nice setup. The articles have shown them to be more effcient than roots type blowers. This months article featured an 2001 Lightning with a Kenne Bell running 21psi of boost!! w/ factory intercooler. Made near 500hp/600lbs.ft. at the rear wheels. As far as I know they make applications for 5.0 and 5.8 engines and custom stuff too.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I looked and probe makes some pistons that would drop my compression enough to run a blower, althought not off the shelf items they wouldn't be to expensive

speed problem? I would argure that most people on these boards are right there with me on that one

P.S. I also saw the the victor jr's now come in a 70cc as wael as a 60 cc so that is an option for droping compresion

1 - 14 of 14 Posts