Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thinking to build a 393 and these would be the parts that I use, I would like to hear your views on this
  • Scat 9000 3.85 crankshaft model 942-9351W10
  • Summit Stage II 351W connecting rods with ARP bolt modelSMS-5-48-05-121
  • Stock non roller Block 351W
  • Sealed power aluminum flat top hypereutectic cast pistons and moly rings, 4 valves reliefs, pins are press only, coated skirt
  • Procomp aluminiun heads, valves 2,02 and 1,6, springs 1.46 with internal damper, (springs and valves are made in USA) 210 cc and 60cc combustion chamber,
  • Comp Cam xtreme seria hodraulic flat tap 284 Valve lift @ 1.6:1 in 0.541 ex 0.544, 110 Lobe, RPM operating rang 2300-6500
  • BDR stall converter 2500/2800, BDR brand fod AOD transmission
  • AOD transmision
  • 8.8" 4:10 rear end
  • Car is a mustang 1983
This car is used in the street, I travel 60 miles every day from my house to my job, but on the wekeends I go to the track and I like to race with my car

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sounds good. but i think youll be disappointed with those heads. I have only heard bad things about those heads. I actually saw a thread up here about them i think it was under dyno board.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Forgot to tell you but thats the same crank and pistons i used. I had to grind the piston skirts a little bit because they hit the crank. Also youll need to notch the block where the oil pump is. I also recommend you get the crank balanced. After i got everything together for mine and grind the pistons skirts, I took everything to get it balanced and he said it was way out of wack. Balancing was only $300.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Forgot to tell you but thats the same crank and pistons i used. I had to grind the piston skirts a little bit because they hit the crank. Also youll need to notch the block where the oil pump is. I also recommend you get the crank balanced. After i got everything together for mine and grind the pistons skirts, I took everything to get it balanced and he said it was way out of wack. Balancing was only $300.
I read in some forums that should be used a forged piston, besides the problem of the skirt you had any other problems with the piston, in ht eforims said the piston can broke.
Are you engine ready? How many HP did you found?
What Heads are cheap and ok for my engine?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Im using a lunati bracket master 2 cam. gt 40 heads port and polished with 3 angle valve job summit racing stage 2 intake and 600cfm carb. and i am making 380 horses and 430 pounds of torque. I have read with afrs and a lil better cam id make around 500 horses. Thats why I say if your going to spend 800 on procomp dont. Just get a set of gt40s if your tight for money. If i were to do it all over again id spend the extra money on forged pistons. No i have not had any problems but itd be worth the money.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im using a lunati bracket master 2 cam. gt 40 heads port and polished with 3 angle valve job summit racing stage 2 intake and 600cfm carb. and i am making 380 horses and 430 pounds of torque. I have read with afrs and a lil better cam id make around 500 horses. Thats why I say if your going to spend 800 on procomp dont. Just get a set of gt40s if your tight for money. If i were to do it all over again id spend the extra money on forged pistons. No i have not had any problems but itd be worth the money.
Well 380 is no bad, what cam do you will be using? Im looking forcompcam xtreme series 284.
What car is? how many second made the car in a 1/4 miles race tracK?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Its in a 1966 mustang. I haven't taken it to the track yet because i am just now putting together a 9inch trac lock rearend. The rearend i got now isnt limitied slip. so when i hit the gas all it does is spins that right tire like hell. The cam i am running right now is lunati bracket master 2. Hopefully this winter ill be changing it out along with some afr heads:)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
If it were me, I would get better heads and forged pistons.

That being said I assembled a 393 with KB192 pistons and did not have any issues. For that build I used some mildly ported Word Sr. heads and the HR version of the cam you have chosen and it made good power for and economy build (11.4 /122MPG).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If it were me, I would get better heads and forged pistons.

That being said I assembled a 393 with KB192 pistons and did not have any issues. For that build I used some mildly ported Word Sr. heads and the HR version of the cam you have chosen and it made good power for and economy build (11.4 /122MPG).
Which Forged piston brand and model do you think will be fine, what type and messure pistons rings?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, I still looking for heads, my buget for heads is 1500, please can you help me to chosee the heads, remember I have flat top pistons, so compression will be the problem, I think combustion chamber should be 64CC,
Iwill be waiting for your opinions, please help me to chosse the right heads

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
I thinking to build a 393 and these would be the parts that I use, I would like to hear your views on this
  • Scat 9000 3.85 crankshaft model 942-9351W10
  • Summit Stage II 351W connecting rods with ARP bolt modelSMS-5-48-05-121
  • Stock non roller Block 351W
  • Sealed power aluminum flat top hypereutectic cast pistons and moly rings, 4 valves reliefs, pins are press only, coated skirt
  • Procomp aluminiun heads, valves 2,02 and 1,6, springs 1.46 with internal damper, (springs and valves are made in USA) 210 cc and 60cc combustion chamber,
  • Comp Cam xtreme seria hodraulic flat tap 284 Valve lift @ 1.6:1 in 0.541 ex 0.544, 110 Lobe, RPM operating rang 2300-6500
  • BDR stall converter 2500/2800, BDR brand fod AOD transmission
  • AOD transmision
  • 8.8" 4:10 rear end
  • Car is a mustang 1983
This car is used in the street, I travel 60 miles every day from my house to my job, but on the wekeends I go to the track and I like to race with my car
STAY AWAY from the ProComp heads. Total junk. Not just bad power, but very poor quality parts, machining and construction. Consider Edelbrock E-series if you need something more cost competitive.

Flat top pistons and 60cc heads puts the compression WAY too high for pump gas! You will NEED dished pistons. 302 pistons are what works with this combination. Some -may- interfere with stock rods. Rod with through bolts (Scat, etc) are better contoured for this. Of course, if you're going to buy new crank AND rods, you may as well build a 408.

I'd contact the references above and check their parts/prices to avoid a problem, and pick their minds about head/piston choices to keep things reliable and keep the compression ratio in check.

Good Luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts