Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a 393 stroker to replace tired motor in 1991 F250 w/c6 trans. I plan on using edelbrock #3881 perfomer intake manifold with BBK 61 mm. I have an Anderson B21 roller hyd. cam I could use with 1.7 rockers. Need some suggestions on heads and if I should use another cam. I have read ejust enough to be on the verge of being confused. Concerned about compression being too high and need a head of 64cc or greater. I will be converting to MAF. Truck has 1-5/8 headers, 2-1/2 dual exhaust with twin delta 50 flowmwasters. The truck is used for "weekend warrior" runs to the dump and and hardware store.

·
Registered
659 Posts
The 63cc heads should have compression around 9.8 That is static. Now the dynamic compression is what counts. The cam will determine the dynamic compression.
The 393's will make lots of torque.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
My brother had a very similar truck. '91 F250, 5.8, 4x4 extended cab/long bed. The original motor was TIRED. Had a couple sucked exhaust valves and the ring seal was poor on all 8. We did up a 393 for it...stock rods, cast chinese crankshaft, etc. NOthing spectacular. He called a cam company that I got my solid roller from and they ground a flat-tappet hydraulic cam for it. It runs fine with the stock speed density EFI and has a LOT more power than the 351 did. Same deal, regular heads with the valves & guides all done up, 2 1/2" dual exhaust, shorty headers (which were a BIG improvement in power compared to the manifolds). He used it for a TRUCK, just as you describe. Runs to the woods, pulling trailers, dump runs, etc. Spent many a weekend pulling hay across the state as well and never once had a problem with it. Very good combination. I don't remember the specs on the cam, but it was small...something like 204 @ .050" and .498 lift, IIRC. Cam Research is where he got it from.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone got a good feel for what is a resonable dynamic compression running on 92 pump gas with aluminum heads? Max.? Min?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts