Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just ordered a stroker crank and have had 351w block bored and prepped getting ready to build a stroker 393 looking for around 500 hp anyone built this engine sure would very much appreciate any tips or specs you can share. sure would be nice if fordmuscle could do a feature on this build hear its getting very popular due to low cost and easy hp thanks

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I have done it as well. 505 HP @ 6600 525 lb-ft @ 4200. Quite easy to build I must say, for a stroker. I've helped with a few 430 inch bowties, and the 393 is a breeze compared to those. You might or might not have to grind the rods near the rodbolt area to gain clearance between the cam lobes and the rod, but that's the most time consuming part of the whole deal. Just dont forget, the 393's are nearing big-block displacement, so make sure the intake/exhaust/cylinder heads are up the the challenge. Also, something to think about, some people have had to add mallory metal to balance the crank, but my crank man says that it's due to heavy pistons. Use of lighter pistons will eliminate that problem. I used SRP's, they were 514 grams without the pin. We just barely had to remove metal one the front and rear counterweight to balance but that was all. We used a SCAT crank and am very happy with it--all the journals were spot on and the counterweights are rounded on the leading edges. Very nice piece for it's price. you will have to use an early 28 oz flywheel and damper.

·
Registered
739 Posts
The KB 393 pistons are also light and required no mallory metal on RPM's 393.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: R Code on 6/14/02 9:58am ]</font>

·
Registered
207 Posts
I made that much horsepower with a 351 which I drove on the street only on weekends so a 393 should be alot easier to get that power

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the info guys i am wanting to use a set of stock heads that i will port can someone shed some light on best stock heads to port for this engine i know aftermarket is best however trying to keep cost down. what year and casting number would you recommend thanks again for info

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On 2002-06-15 06:16, lenh wrote:
thanks for the info guys i am wanting to use a set of stock heads that i will port can someone shed some light on best stock heads to port for this engine i know aftermarket is best however trying to keep cost down. what year and casting number would you recommend thanks again for info

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for info mstngjoe i will be looking for these heads to port,anyone else have some tricks they used to gain more hp from a 393 stroker

if they built it right the first time there would be no recalls
85 Mazda RX7 powered by 5.0 HO engine AOD tranny
soon to be running 393 power

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: lenh on 6/16/02 8:48am ]</font>

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I originally was going to do a 408 but the pistons I picked up where just a little too tall for the 4.0 stroke crank. Now I’ve been trying for 6 weeks to get a 3.85 stroke crank with a 2.1 chevy rod scat was to be making these for the last 6 week but haven’t got one yet. Hoping with lite piston and the 6.2 Carrillo rod it will make a good deal of hp & trq. Don’t know if this helps you but I like the longer rod and the smaller bearings.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
If you're gonna build a stroker, (even a 393), I'd go aftermarket heads. AT least some AFR 185's, (or comparable). At 408 and bigger, for sure at least 205's, (or comparable).
That's BIG BLOCK territory (in a small package). Just one big vacuum pump. Gotta get it in, to get it out!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Just finished my 393 stroker buildup and had the car out for the first time last weekend.My combo is the same as the Ford crate but with the AFR 185 heads + I was forced to use the small 1 5/8 " headers due to lack of time( and patience...). Although not tuned up and the rev limiter set to 6000 rpm I can tell you there is some serious power there. First gear is useless, second gear - lot of traction problems... I will tell you more in coming days...need to finish now.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sounds great ville love to hear more. i will be installing my 393 stroker in a 2000 lb rx7 cant wait to get in built

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
Lenh, sounds awesome...2000 lbs...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts