Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on a stroker rebuild for my 69 351W. It is mostly a street engine. My understanding is that the oil rings on the 393 do not overlap the piston pin and the 408 does. Is it better or more desireable to build the 393 because of that? Thanks

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I've never built a 408, but I do know that the 393 is easy, I mean simple to build. 302 pistons, stock rods (with clearancing), and a 3.85" stroke crank. If you're on a budget, go with the 393.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
The compression height does NOT require the piston pin to be in the oil rings on a 408. Some pistons for this application might be made this way (depending on design and rod length) but there are pistons without this problem. Of course piston selection is a lot better for the 393, and the difference is cubes isn't that much. Just be sure to check skirt to counterweight clearance when using regular 302 pistons in a 393 stroker. They might need trimmed for clearance. (which -should- be done before balancing)

Good Luck!

·
Registered
739 Posts
393 is the simplest to build if that is what you are looking for. Most 302 pistons will yield a hefty compression ratio due to the fact that they are designed for a 3" stroke application and this is a 3.85". You can use your existing rods and KB among others, sells 393 specific pistons.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts