Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much clearance work is needed on the 351W block to get everything to fit? Were? In the cylinder skirts, panrails, oil pump area? I'm also concerned about compression ratio. I'd like to stay in the 9-9.5 to 1 ratio so that I can run "cheap" gas. Most of the aluminum heads have 60-62cc chambers, so that means either a greatly dished piston or large deck clearance, or both to get that kind of compression ratio. Or is it possible to get away with a higher ratio? What octane rating are you guys running in your strokers? I already have a toy with a high compression motor, now I want one I can drive daily and not break the bank paying for fuel.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My machinist told me very little grinding was necessary, he only charged me 30-40$ to do it.

I used the Federal Mogul Hypereutectics (H273CP) in my buildup and have about 185psi of cylinder cranking pressure.

I run supreme gas with about 32 degrees total timing (via my MSD dist.) and my ported Edelbrock 6025's have a combustion chamber of about 62-63cc's.

The camshaft is a Schnieder with 230/238 @ .050 and .516"/.525". The lobe seperation is 106.

My motor did ping a bit when I had a Mallory unilite with the total timing about 38. The MSD offered me the ability to adjust my curve and the problems went away. I also believe that my cam's tight lobe seperation allows quite a bit of cylinder pressure to be bled off, allowing me to run pump gas.

Cam II is too expensive, don't you think?

·
Registered
749 Posts
I beleive that TRW/FM H273P is the piston ford uses in thir 393W crate motor.

65mustang393:

what rods intake carb and header size you using with that combo? I want to end up with the same basic combo next time I pull the motor.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Speed Demon 650 (72/82 jets)
Eagle H-beams, stock Windsor 5.956"
El Cheapo 99$ Heddman 1 5/8" (351W into 65-66 Mustang) headers.

Made 374 on motor and 493 on spray on a Dynojet.

·
Registered
749 Posts
65mustang393

do you know what exactly what your machinist did for clearancing?

Nice nunbers for a "mild" pump gas combo

·
Registered
739 Posts
Hey there 65 393, I am interested in your combo too. My excel spreadsheet shows that with 63cc heads and 22cc pistons and zero deck, a 393 would have a 9.6:1 cr. Is that what you have? I am unfamiliar with the ebrock heads, how do they flow compared with the AFR 185s. The reason I ask is that 375 hp on the dynojet seems a world away from the 450-ish the crate motor delivers. Is that just because every dyno is diff?
My bro's 393 required a bit of clearancing on the cylinder skirts and the area where the oil pump bolts up.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hi R Code

65mustang393 said his pistons were FM H273CP
those have 15 cc volume...try those in your program

I believe those HP and torque numbers are at the rear wheels. A Dynojet is a chassis dyno...someone correct me if Im wrong here.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Ouch. Of course the dynojet is a chassis dyno. I guess there are dumb questions.

10.3 to one with 15cc. Plus 374rwhp/85% is 440fwhp (80% would gross 468). So, much more in line. Plus, according to the hp/et calculator, 65 393 is getting within 10% of their "perfect world" calculations, which I guess means his 11.60's are almost perfect.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: R Code on 2/16/02 3:14am ]</font>

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 6025's flow 250/202 after Greg Bunner (my machinist) ported them.

The AFR 185's on his same bench went 264 at 0.600" so they should be better.

I hope to drop down to 50's or 40's this season. The 374 on motor was after my 11.63 run and we found 17ish Hp on the DynoJet with the air/fuel meter and changing rear jets from 80 to 82.

I want to be booted from an IHRA track on motor alone!!!

On second thought....

·
Registered
104 Posts
Oh yeah, Greg found another 10-25 cfm on the AFR's by just cleaning up the little "ribs" that the CNC machining leaves behind. He used an 80 grit sandroll I think. He was impressed with the AFR's but the Twisted Wedges are still #1 potential wise (in his book, anyways)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
KB-364 has a 22cc dish. With the block decked to 9.485, and a 60cc chamber, the ratio comes out to 10.03. Having the piston .005in. out of the bore provides maximum quench, which promotes the combustion process. This combo uses the Fel pro 1011-2 head gasket which has a .039in. compressed thickness. A very small eyebrow needs to be ground into the bottom of the bore. This can be done at home to save coin for other things. With a cam that has a duration of at least [email protected] it would run on 87 octane gas no problem.
My 331 stroker has 9.9 compression, runs a best of 11.53 with a 1.53 60 ft. all on 87 octane gas. Oh, thats on a street tire also.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My last reply didn't post so we'll try this again.

85Mike you have great times and if I ever get stationed back in the Bremerton/Bangor area then I'll be sure to look you up at the Bremerton Raceway on Sundays! When I was on the Nimitz I used to race there when my car was a 289 14.01 wonder!

1.53 on a street tire? C'mon man, Bremerton didn't hook like that! Unless they did a lot of work to the former airport, I can't see that 60' unless you got a hell of a suspension, fat MT ET "street", or you took a trip up to SIR!

Did you have to put a cage in the car when Bremerton went to NHRA rules (last year?) or did you already have one in there? I would have preferred they stay IHRA because I really don't want to put a cage in this old thing. It kills the sleeper image!

331 runs good and I'd like to know the combo. I thought long and hard about putting a 289 based motor back in but the 351 won out and when that motor went south the 393 was my logical/economical solution. Maybe next time I'll go back cause I hate having zero clearance for my headers!

Later

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Sorry, Bremerton DO hook! 27X11.5 Hoosier Quick Time Pro's. Gotta remember that this car only weighs 2765 lbs. The car has had a 6 point bar in it since 1996.
This year a few changes have been made. A spool and 4.30's are installed and ready to rock.
I have more people look at the car and want to know where the bottle is. I tell them that "its so well hidden that I can't even find it". Its a slow process, I've been working on it since 1985.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts