Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok I read all the time but never post so here goes.
I am putting together a street/limited strip stroker for my 3700lb 47 for pickup(truck is running a C6 and 3.50 gears). Here's what I have:

74 351w block 0.030 over
Scat cast steel 3.85 crank
Scat h beam rods stock length
Probe SPS 30cc dish pistons @ 8.27:1 w/ 0.040 Cometic head gaskets
RHS 180 heads (aluminum out of box) 2.02 1.60 valves 1.6 rockers
Erson hydraulic roller cam:
overlap 74, lobe Separation 112
lift (INT/EXT) 0.544/0.544
duration (INT/EXT) 294/302
Clevite h series bearings 0.003 main clearance 0.0025 rod clearance
mellings 10833 hv oil pump (made my own 8 qt pan, thanks ford muscle)
ARP main studs and head studs
2 750 demon blower carbs

I have pullies for 5% and 10% over/underdriven, my goal is 8psi of boost. What do you think of the overall package? What kind of hp and torque do you think I will make? Thanks in advance for the feedback, Josh.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
I'll take a shot. I'll say with a proper tune and good ignition plotting, about 540 hp and 470ish torque, keeping it at a lazy 6000 rpm. As you are better off with less rpm and more boost to get the same power, I'd stay at 6k to keep the stresses down for brick reliability and minimize the blower heat. With pump gas, you should be able to hit 12 psig with good tuning, bumping you to the 600/500 range. Add a bit of octane for insurance against the blower heat soaking the parts in high-gear, and another 500-700 rpm or 3-4 pounds and you'll knock on 700/550. Clean-up those heads and get another 50+. You'll find both best power and solid reliability with sharp tuning, and is your most important part of the whole package. Don't short-cut that part, and have a blast.

David

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I was hoping to hit 600/500 eventually, with tuning. Thanks what I've been told is the limit for my crank, block etc. I will be running an msd 6btm ignition. I have put a couple engines together before with no major problems, but this is my first blown engine build and tuning.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Thanks. I was hoping to hit 600/500 eventually, with tuning. Thanks what I've been told is the limit for my crank, block etc. I will be running an msd 6btm ignition. I have put a couple engines together before with no major problems, but this is my first blown engine build and tuning.
Oh no - your parts (assuming proper assembly) will take more than that reliably. Boost is far less abusive to parts than the rpms needed for NA power. Again the critical component is tuning. As an example, one member ran a totally stock (1982?) short block 351W (stock cast crank, stock cast pistons, stock rods, stock block) for almost two seasons at just shy of 1000 hp. It was still fine when he pulled it to swap-in a stroker monster. I consider him a pro and an exception to the Murphy's Law rules.

I generally draw the line for stock (but properly blueprinted) 351W blocks at 800-850hp, just to stay well away from the ragged edge. The often-heard 600 limit is for the stock 302/5.0L types. Some guys blow them at 550 and others run all year at 650+. Again - tuning and good fuel with more boost favored over more rpms.

David

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a friend we do some machine work for helping/teaching me about clearances as we go. He's been building race big block chevys for years. It's got a balanced rotating assy and we put the valve train together to the specs for the cam. Hope it all hangs together! Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts