Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As off right now i have a 351 stroked to a 395. I want to change my cam heads and intake. I have a 2200 rpm stall i dont want to chage it out so im debating on eother the 185 or 205 afr the 205 claim to not stsrt making power until 3000 but when i looked at dyno charts this appeared to not be the case. Advi e please i havent decided on a cam thought about a custom cam from comp cams the cam will start making power at 2200. Sprry for the typing errors jm using my phone on my lunch break

·
Registered
718 Posts
i have a 392w stroker with afr 205 heads. its does just fine at low rpm on the street. the 185 is too small for a 390+ engine. 185 are great for a 351 cu in. go with the 205. use the part # 1450 or 1458 to get the compression you want. the 1452 has nitrous exhaust and unless you have nitrous dont use those. a custom cam from compcams is the way to go. i have a custom hyd roller from compcam. i use the street roller so i can use the iron dist gear. a billet roller requires a bronze or composite dist gear and the gear dont last long.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My car is a 66 mustang. I have a 395w with summit racing stage 2 intake, ported polished and 3 angle valve job gt40 heads, lunati bracket master 2 cam, 2200 stall from tci,(i dont want to change my stall) 100 shot of nos, about to install 9 inch posi trac with 373s, and possibly about to order sub frame connectors. I would prefer to have low down power i like racing on the street but I have a buddy with a rousch that runs 12.7s and I really want to beat him. I havent taken my car to the dragstrip yet or raced him but i just dont feel like i have enough power. Supposedly my computer dyno said 380 horses and 430 pounds of torque but I don't think that that is accurate. I just turned 20 and i built the motor myself so Im still pretty new to this.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Do you have any dyno print outs of your pulls?..Don't see many high hp buildups with the airgap..
i wont post it and i aint telling what my cam specs are. i'm out to make money betting people at the track, etc. the last thing i want is someone in the california area duplicating my engine. i will never tell everything about my suspension either. i see people posting their dyno sheets and thats good for me if i ever meet up with you i'll know weather or not to bet a few hundred dollars to race you. i didnt spend almost 2k on a Bryant racing crank , 1300 dollars on Oliver rods , etc for a have me some fun engine. i spent that money to make money as i have ben doing since about 1973. some guys i raced wouldnt even open their hood for me so mine stayed shut to.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
i wont post it and i aint telling what my cam specs are. i'm out to make money betting people at the track, etc. the last thing i want is someone in the california area duplicating my engine. i will never tell everything about my suspension either. i see people posting their dyno sheets and thats good for me if i ever meet up with you i'll know weather or not to bet a few hundred dollars to race you. i didnt spend almost 2k on a Bryant racing crank , 1300 dollars on Oliver rods , etc for a have me some fun engine. i spent that money to make money as i have ben doing since about 1973. some guys i raced wouldnt even open their hood for me so mine stayed shut to.
I wish we were close. I like racing your type . you already gave a lot of info

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
That's cool..I have to say I was a bit skeptical when you first posted your details.....So it sounds like what you really have is a well built race engine that is probably giving up some power in order to look like a bit of a sleeper..

·
Registered
718 Posts
I wish we were close. I like racing your type . you already gave a lot of info
i hope you like roadracing. actually theres more to then just the engine. the suspension, brakes, tires and driving ability. i havent drag raced anyone in a really long time but i used to and not at the track. i built this 66 with a 351c 4v back in 1980. it was gonna be an autocross only car but i had way too much fun drag racing it. i put headers, factory aluminum intake , cam , and 800 holley on it. had a toploader with an 8" and 3.00 gears. i left the 70 series tires on it. burn through 1, 2, 3, gears. i'm surprised i didnt exploade the 8" rear. no one ever asked to look under the hood. i had real quiet mufflers on it. i loved racing camaros and fireturds. i loved it when a sheeevelle pulled up next to me at a traffic light. i would taunt the driver so he would race me and then i would blow his doors off. the few people that did look under the hood thought it was a 289. the 68 shock towers looked factory. i sold it around the mid 90's. i'm a roadracer. i go to willowsprings, buttonwillow , etc. i dont class race , i look for someone looking for a duel. i will bet anywhere form 100-300 bucks. i never race title for title, i have had stuff break when racing.

Attachments

·
Registered
718 Posts
this is me on the left standing in front of one of a red 66 mustang i had for a while. it was 1979 at an SAAC autocross. there were about 40 gt350 shelbys in the class with me. i came in 2nd behind a 66 gt350. i had front suspension alignment issues and the car didnt want to turn. it had a 289 with a lunati cam, f4b intake , 70 351w heads , headman headers , trw pistons , wide box toploader and 3.5 traction lok. i sold that car a couple a years later and bought a 69 that had a 351c 4v dropped in place of the 302. i kept i a couple of years and bought another 65 fb mustang. i look like a GEEK ! btw i'm 54.

Attachments

·
Registered
718 Posts
That's cool..I have to say I was a bit skeptical when you first posted your details.....So it sounds like what you really have is a well built race engine that is probably giving up some power in order to look like a bit of a sleeper..
i used to hear an old saying > never show your cards. even if i gave out the serial # number on my custom cam and told everthing theres no garuntee a duplicate engine would perform the same. even with the same bearing clearences, piston to wall clearence, ring gap, etc. another thing about my cam is the lobe profiles , and timing are for what i told compcams i wanted the engine to do. it may not work for someone elses application. even if i posted the lobe numbers you would still need the cam timing number to put the lobes in the same location. also it may not work as well in the same cu. in. engine with a different bore and stroke then mine. i dont mind telling everyone mine is a 392W > 4" bore , 3.9" stroke. 392.07 cu.in. i started with a new ford racing block.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.