Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok after my rebuild my engine has ran great but it keeps eating intake gaskets. This is the third set i have had go bad after about a 1000 miles. first set was felpro print-0-seal with no inner metal. The other set was felpro with print-0-seal with the metal inside. Who makes the best gasket. I don't care if its a 1000 bucks. I am sick of this.

I have had less water in my atv engine and I stay in the creeks.

also any advice on this next install would be great. a step by step maybe. PLEASE

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Are you using silicone? Seal both sides of gasket and retighten the bolts after a dozen heat cycles.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using silicone, but I did not re tighten anything after The final torque.

Whats the best silicone. I used THE RIGHT STUFF grey but it sets up to fast.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
What type of intake, iron or alum? What series head? Have the heads ever been planed (requires intake to be matched)? Do the gasket runner openings match both the intake and head when laid on either?

As for RTV for a sealant, I am sure FEL-PRO says not to use a sealant. Personally, I use PERMATEX #2 @ the coolants passage(s).

RTV is meant to form a gasket, not to be used with.

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
I have always used RTV black or red and never had a leak. I always use RTV instead of the cork end gaskets.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
out of the box edelbrock heads and performer intake. no machining what so ever. I have not had any problems with the ends leaking. just getting water in the oil.

They always tend to leak after a good hard run. Someone told me to put a 7 lbs radiator cap and to take the pvc's out and replace with filters.

I have never used the corks either

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Regualr RTV and the right stuff are darn near the same. Very thin layer is all you need. Run car for 20 minutes, then shut down and re-torque the intake bolts to the correct torque whether it's 17 or 25 and you'll feel a lot of movement before getting back to torque.

ALSO, USE a Permatex THREAD sealer and on ALL the bolts, it's GREAT, non hardening and gives almost Exact torque to each bolt.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Printo o seal gaskets are POS. The print o leak side will not seal with silicone on it. Victor Reonite (sp) or Eddelbrock gaskets have worked best for me. Black supper weather strip adheasive seems to work better around the water passages. I also use the copper or black permitex silicone instead of the China wall gaskets. Indian Head sealer works well to on the manifold mating surfaces.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I also retorq several times before starting often let it sit overnite and rtorq again the next day. Heat cycle the engine a couple times then retorq after engine cools overnite. Never retorq a hot motor.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok guys these are great answers, I am about to order a new set of either edels, or victors and do the torquing steps described. Thanks a ton.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Print-o-leaks are junk. I went back to the regular fel-pro gaskets and life was good. Just a thought you said you had the engine rebuilt, did they surface the block ?? or the heads ?? If so you might have to take a little off the mating surfaces of you intake., To get it to match up. I had to take 0.020 off of my last build and that was on a new performer RPM manifold. What about the alignment pin in the front china wall ?? any problems there.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
I had to take 0.20 off of my last build and that was on a new performer RPM manifold.
Hey Mr. 432B,
"0.20"? That's 1/5th of an inch! Or did you mean 0.020?

JC

·
Registered
197 Posts
NEVER RE_TORQUE WHEN ENGINE IS HOT! GREAT ADVICE ASK ME HOW I KNOW! I rebuilt my 390 and used victor reinz intake gaskets .no leaks that was 7 yrs ago.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
It seems to me... :frown: ... that if the components are EDELBROCK, one would use their gasket set and follow their instructions to the letter.

Just call me crazy, but it seems the thing to do... :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Also when torquing it down, do not just do it one time..after you hit final torque go over a couple of times you will not believe how many will be loose. Trick we use on the 5.0 intakes.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Also when torquing it down, do not just do it one time..after you hit final torque go over a couple of times you will not believe how many will be loose. Trick we use on the 5.0 intakes.
:tup:

And follow the correct torquing sequence.

·
Registered
240 Posts
How do you know it's not something else?What year 390 took the whole valley pan gasket? I have a NOS one . I think it could be used in all of them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts