Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1966 stang that had a blown up 3spd standard in it. I put a 4spd out of a 1983 5.0L car. Shortened the driveshaft, new diaphram clutch and throw out bearing. Thats as far as i have gotten so far as the manual clutch setup wont work.
Before i get even farther into this swap, does anyone know if i have to do any mods to the inside of the bell housing like with a
T-5 swap? And can i use a clutch cable setup out of a 80's stang?
i appreciate any insight possible

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Why not just use a 4-speed toploader then everything from the original 3-speed should work fine .If your going to all the bother of changing to a cable setup and buying the other parts to go with the newer 4-speed whynot use a 5-speed instead so at least you get the advantage of overdrive when you're done.Sounds like a lot of work to change over to the newer 4-speed when an older one will bolt right in and be stronger to boot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it pretty well came down to cost. A good t-5 plus the conversion pieces would cost well over 1200$ cdn and i got a good 4spd for $100. And i would still have to change the clutch setup unfortunetly. 4spd bolted right up as well with the same cross member as well so that was a bonus. And trying to find a 60's vinatge 4spd with shifter would cost mega bucks too as far a i have been able to find out. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Lack of cash is a good reason.Check out the archives for mods to the bellhousing to convert from a cable to your old style linkage.You just have to change the fulcrum point for the clutch fork to the opposite side of the bellhousing and use your old fork.This should be alot cheaper than buying a cable conversion kit.You might be able to adapt your old clutch pedal to work with your 83 cable by welding a piece onto the top above where it pivots inside the car and attaching the cable here so it is pulling the cable towards you instead of pushing it back into the engine compartment

1 - 4 of 4 Posts