Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of resources that list part numbers for 3spd manual toploaders? Interchange information would also be helpful. Iv'e already checked with the 4spd rebuilders but they don't seem to have the time to answer my e-mails.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
The only source I know of will be the FORD MASTER PARTS CATALOG. What is it you are trying to do? Just find overhaul parts?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes.
gears, detents, shift fork rails, Would be a lot easier too if I knew if any parts crossed over from the 4speed. I have been unable to find any internal parts crossovers or specifications on tolerances for specific parts. I have found swaps between trannies but not internals. There seems to be almost no info out there about 3spd standard trannies or any gear catalogs that list the late 60s ford 3spds. Anyone know where I could obtain the ford parts catalog that covers these parts or a gear catalog that lists these transmissions?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SDJIRICEK on 7/7/06 5:20pm ]</font>

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Do you have a TRANS I.D. Tag No.?

Let me have this along with a list of what you need, and you can check with FORD and the popular F/4/S vendors as to what you can get.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RAN-AL build tag. Out of a 1969 Torino GT column shift. The original transmission I believe was had a RAT build tag but the RAN-AL has the same lenght mainshaft.

Detents, detent springs and balls, 1st gear, both shift rails and case plugs( the ones which fit into the case to keep the rails from sliding out and keep th oil in) and both shift fork tolerences for where they contact the shift sleeves. I also need correct o-ring sizes for the shift levers and the proper OD for the front bearing. The rebuild kit I have has a bearing that seems to fit slightly loose as has 1 other supposedly correct bearing I've tried. The original bearing fit nice and snug so I know it's not the maincase.

If you don't mind me asking what are "Popular F/4/S vendors"

·
Registered
460 Posts
Salvage yards use an interchange manual known as "Hollander" that gives detailed information on complete trans interchanges as well as a lot of individual parts. Try the main library in San Diego. At the main library in Phoenix, AZ they have a complete set of Hollander manuals going clear back to the 1930's. I've found that the heavy duty 3 spd RAT trans has some interchangability with the 4 spd., such as some bearings and synchros, forks, and small parts such as roll pins. On your new brng. that is loose but the old one fits, is there a number on the bearing? Or, just take the bearing to a bearing supply house such as King or Kaman and match it up. These are standard size ball bearings and have standardized part numbers that easily cross over or don't even need to be crossed; every brand uses the same numbers. A wholesale transmission supply such as Transtar or RPM/Merit will catalog small parts kits.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
A wholesale transmission supply such as Transtar or RPM/Merit will catalog small parts kits.
Good information 67Coug. He E-Mailed me and I asked him to contact David Kee F/4/S MON for parts availability. He will get back if not available.

Thanks for the info...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the replies. The library lead is a good idea. Hopefully ours carries those manuals. Even having standardized parts numbers would help as it might speed up vendor replies.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts