Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Switching from a 3 speed manual trans to a C4 in my 67 fairlane. Pulled the 3 speed today, I've got a 1977 C4 that has been done over recently and I'm switching out the motor to a 351w from a 1974 torino.

Heard a nasty rumor that I could use the same crossmember from the 3 speed for the C4, I tend to think that was wishful thinking after sitting the 2 transmissions next to each other. Also I need to know if the drive shaft length needs to change, and if I need to get another universal joint, I think so b/c I read on one of the other forums that the later model C4 transmissions have a different spline count. Any info to confirm or contradict would be extremely helpful.

Thanks,
Andy Evans
Blue67

·
Registered
221 Posts
I recently swapped my 3-speed manual for a C4 in my 66 Mustang with a 289. I was able to use the same crossmember but had to buy a transmission mount for the C4. The crossmember had two sets of holes: one for the manual mount and one for the C4 mount. The C4 I put in was a 70 or later style, and the driveshaft spline fit with no problems.

I'm not sure if this helps for your swap or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, that is a big help, and great news as my c4 is a 77 model and should match up. I've only got one more question, did you have to resize the driveshaft or was it a close enough fit?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts