Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Not that difficult. Once setup properly an occasional going over.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
I agree, if done right, then it should go years without issues. Considering the random amount of alcohol in pump gas these days, you may have to play with it more often - but not much. It's no different than one 2-barrel carb, just 3 of them. Keep in-mind, you're trading cool-factor for triple the effort when you do service them. ;) A fair trade, I'd say. Fortunately, there is quite a bit of info online and in books to assist you in maintenance. My best advice is to learn about how they work and understand them. Then servicing is relatively easy.

David

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Once I set my carbs they're good for the duration of me owning the car unless they get dirt in them.

Same goes for 3 carbs.
DAMN I wish I had your skills and luck...

I bet all of the vendors wonder in amazement as to how you never order an overhaul kit. How do you do it? :confused:

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
Once every 5 or 8 years the accelerator pump diaphragm may sport a tiny leak and I'd have to spend $7 bucks and 9 minutes to replace it. THAT is not making adjustments to a carb kultulz.

And thanks, I AM quite amazing :)

P.S. MY overhaul kit is a PV and an ACC pump, but only when they fail. never need anything else but the secondary vacuum diaphragm, and rarely that.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Once every 5 or 8 years the accelerator pump diaphragm may sport a tiny leak and I'd have to spend $7 bucks and 9 minutes to replace it. THAT is not making adjustments to a carb kultulz.

And thanks, I AM quite amazing :)

P.S. MY overhaul kit is a PV and an ACC pump, but only when they fail. never need anything else but the secondary vacuum diaphragm, and rarely that.
What a man...what a tech.

I am humbled within your posts... :bow:

May I now kiss your ring?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Back to the topic at hand.

I found that treating it like a 4 corner idle 4bbl works great. The center carb is the primary, and the outer 2 are the secondary. I set up the linkage to open both outer carbs at the same time. I also had to add restrictors to all 3 idle circuits because it was just too rich. I need to get a wideband hooked up so I can see what's going on. I'm too impatient for the try this and see, read plugs etc approach. Lol.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
I found that treating it like a 4 corner idle 4bbl works great. The center carb is the primary, and the outer 2 are the secondary. I set up the linkage to open both outer carbs at the same time.
That's a MUST. Otherwise your fuel distribution goes to hell.
I also had to add restrictors to all 3 idle circuits because it was just too rich.
You're not using original 3x2 carbs I take it?
I need to get a wideband hooked up so I can see what's going on. I'm too impatient for the try this and see, read plugs etc approach. Lol.
Seriously. WBO2 is da bomb. Unfortunately, it only reads collective exhaust, so use an IR temp gun on the header tubes at the same distance off each cylinder as possible for fuel distribution tuning. You may have to slide a wind-block sheet in front of each bank of you have fan air messing with temp readings. The wizard tools make it cake.

A vacuum manometer is useful for balancing basic airflow, but only in a general sense, as they are all on left and right common plenums. I found it just as effective to balance mechanically with each carb exactly X-turns on the stops and linkage, then tune distribution and mixtures from there. They run SO much better when they're tuned for both.
:tup:
David

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
The best thing to do is buy HP Trends program that explains out they work and how to tune them. Or go by the factory shop manual.

·
Registered
420 Posts
You're not using original 3x2 carbs I take it?
Seriously. WBO2 is da bomb. Unfortunately, it only reads collective exhaust, so use an IR temp gun on the header tubes at the same distance off each cylinder as possible for fuel distribution tuning.
:tup:
David
I'm not sure about the carbs. I believe they are period correct, but someone had their time with them and screwed it all up. Yes, the wideband only gives you an average, so the laser trick is helpful too.

I wrote a short tech article on using vacuum gauges and widebands for tuning. It can be found here...

Docs/Tech | Burton Machine

Scroll down past all the turbo stuff and it says "Carb tuning with wideband and Vacuum" or something like that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts