Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Measured for one a few yrs back. Have to remove the shock towers and go Mustang II front suspension.
Might maybe get away with shaving big time off shock towers, but things will be ever so tight.

1966 Stang Coupe Org. 6 cyl. 351w,Sealed Power Hypers, ARP bolts,Total Seal rings,Eagle H-beams rods,Balanced rotating assembley,Hedman long tubes, TMD 2.05/1.60 Vic Jr Knockoffs, 1.6 Stainless steel Roller Rockers, Victor Jr intake, Holley 750 DP, Ed Nix Custom .600/.600 254/258 @.050 Solid Cam, Crane solid roller lifters,Richmond 4.11, Strange mini spool, Modified C4, 3500 stall, ******* Pro tree Transbrake, B&M Hammer shifter, Shelby lowered, Pro-Comp 6Al system.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Forthman on 3/31/06 2:41pm ]</font>

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Forthman is right. The 4.6 is almost as wide as a BOSS 429 and they needed to widen them a bit! I think it's been done on a '67 up car but they have the bigger engine bay. Stu

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
I am not a fan of the swap because I cannot justify it as bieng cost effective. They are huge heavy motors that will get you at most about 330 cubic inches. You will have to severly modify almost every aspect of your car to make it fit and run ( lots of electronics involved) and the 4.6 motors are pretty expensive. To me a stroker pushrod motor (most likley a windsor or cleveland) sounds like a much better swap, and you can still apply all of the trick parts like fuel injection.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i would take a mod motor any day (IF i had time and patience). They are stronger (blocks will hope 1k HP at the wheels, aluminum even more). So the cheaper excuse shouldnt apply. N/A mod motors are not a good for the price, but blown they are amazing. My cobra engine is making 550 at the wheels w/o spray, some guys have made close to 1k HP with a turbo(s).

but i am sticking with a 5.0L EFI engine because theyre so simple to build.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lucafu1 on 4/3/06 4:57pm ]</font>

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
There are so many parts out for the 5.0L ford (and by extension the 351W) that you would be hard pressed to justify using a mod motor. Now that doesn't mean you cant do it. If the challenge is in building it, and you'll have fun doing it, by all means, do it. But I think, that given a certain investment, you can go further if you spend the money on a smallblock ford. You can get EFI, an overdrive transmission, an 8.8" rear, and still be in the lead power/price ratio. You may get a handful of MPG more with the mod, but with all the EFI stuff out there, I doubt it would be worth the added expense.

However. I'm not trying to discourage anyone. I'm just trying to present the economic side. If you want a mod motor, do it, regardless of what the other people say... just be prepared to open your wallet.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Oh i wanted a DOHC 5.4 in the 66 but could not see an easy way to stuff it in. So went 351w route. About ready to install the 393 stroker soon.

1966 Stang Coupe Org. 6 cyl. 351w,Sealed Power Hypers, ARP bolts,Total Seal rings,Eagle H-beams rods,Balanced rotating assembley,Hedman long tubes, TMD 2.05/1.60 Vic Jr Knockoffs, 1.6 Stainless steel Roller Rockers, Victor Jr intake, Holley 750 DP, Ed Nix Custom .600/.600 254/258 @.050 Solid Cam, Crane solid roller lifters,Richmond 4.11, Strange mini spool, Modified C4, 3500 stall, ******* Pro tree Transbrake, B&M Hammer shifter, Shelby lowered, Pro-Comp 6Al system.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Forthman on 4/4/06 2:47pm ]</font>

·
Registered
233 Posts
I got a 68 fastback that had a 390 in it and I want to put a 99-01 4.6 cobra motor in it. Since it already had a big block in there would it be able to house the mod motor without to much trouble and keep the stock suspension setup?

The only reason I'm thinking about it is because I am looking at spending 3400 just for a cam heads carb and intake when I can get the mod motor for just about the same price.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i would take a mod motor any day (IF i had time and patience). They are stronger (blocks will hope 1k HP at the wheels, aluminum even more). So the cheaper excuse shouldnt apply. N/A mod motors are not a good for the price, but blown they are amazing. My cobra engine is making 550 at the wheels w/o spray, some guys have made close to 1k HP with a turbo(s).

but i am sticking with a 5.0L EFI engine because theyre so simple to build.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lucafu1 on 4/3/06 4:57pm ]</font>

By the time you spent the money to do that, you could of bought a Dart block or Ford block and made just as much or more HP with 400+ cuin.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm looking at doing this exact swap myself, but the reason I'm doing it is because I have a 97 GT the was totaled from the rear, and my goal for my 66 is a powerful reliable, fuel efficient (at least closer to) daily driver, and I like the 4.6 for all of these things. Are these blocks really as heavy as the 429?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.