Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure some one out there has a 4-link or ladder bar rear suspension. I'm considering it myself, but I don't want to drasticly effect the cars streetablity. I want to narrow my axle about 6-8 inches over all and run a pair of 18" x 12" wheels.

How would this handle if I run some tight springs and a rear sway bar??? I already have a Shelby spring and sway bar kit in the front.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
It doesn't make for the best cornering car but properly installed/prepared, you can't really tell it from a stock suspension except for the fact it's infinately adjustable & works better than anything else. The key is in the shocks.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
For 15 years (insert major procrastination mode here), I raced my 69 brand x with factory 4 link style rear suspension. Great for street, BS for strip. I had performed every major mod there was for factory setup. Best 60 foot was a 1.42, (oddly enough, same as mustang is now).
In either case, that car was a handful. Had to STEER/DRIVE that car.
Now the mustang has a ladder bar rear suspension. Goes straight as an arrow down the track. Barely even have to steer. (at least it's been that way for the last 2 years)..........

·
Registered
34 Posts
Factory 4 links are not made for the strip, but 4 links DESIGNED to work on the strip can potentially work better than ladder bars due to adjustability and method of action. Ladder bars don't typically work well on the street because they don't have the give to allow for bumps, etc. Essentially they act like one giant anti-roll bar, making for harsh ride and creating severe oversteer. If you can put up with that, then use the ladder bars because they are simpler. But if you really want to get the best of both worlds, use a 4 link that is designed to put up with the rigors of street use while maintaining the essential adjustability that makes them so desireable for the strip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts