Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1963 ranchero and would like to change over from the 4 lug to 5 lug! What do I need ? I heard I could use a 1965 mustang brake set up of a v-8 car. Is this correct? What is my cheapest route? Any suggestions

·
Registered
116 Posts
Joe, You can use the front end stuff from a 65 v-8 Falcon or Comet. If you use the 65-66 Mustang front end parts,you must use the ctr. link from the v-8 Falcon or Comet. Mustang ctr link is an inch + to long.

Go to Comet east car club web, there is an article written by Mike Schnur In Comet articles that gives step by step on how to and what to use. Best article ever written. What he tells you ,you can take to the bank.

Butch Evans
Thomasville NC

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Joe:

Unless you are intending to carry along an extra set of wheels, just in case you have a flat in the rear, your troubles may be behind you instead.

Many instances noted here of folks converting over to some late model rear axle set up, but you also need to mention as to if or not you intend to install a large engine up front, or you are eyeballing a custom set of wheels.

Wm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea that info would help I'm converting due to a v-8 displacement . I'm running a 351 and c-4 set up already used a 9 inch in the back . There are too many well you could use this set up etc. So I wanted to ask the people that know what day it is, if you know what I mean ??

Ok so mustang 65 66 stuff ! So I need to find center link ! Good luck at a junk yard hah ! Are they available new?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Joe, the Falcon,Comet ctr. link can be bougt new from Falcon parts in Cal. IF buying new,the rest of the front end parts uca,lca etc. would be cheeper from Mustang venders.

Butch Evans
Thomasville NC

·
Subscriber
263 Posts
I finished refurbishing my 63 ranchero brake syatem. It has 65 Mustang discs. The car came with a 260 so all the V8 suspension is there. The spindles look like from a 63 as I have a 64 and they look identical. The disc brackets bolt to the spindle. If you have 6 cyl spindles, you need to get V8s.( BTW, look at ebay in "64 Falcons" as they have a disc brake set-up for 4 bolt cars.) I bought a 65 Falcon manuel center link, a 65 Falcon 2 bolt (vs. a 3 bolt) idler arm, (the bolt holes are there), you'll need a 1" sector shaft pitman arm, for inner tie rods use a 65 Falcon manual tie rod (mustang will not work on the falcon center link--taper too small)---for outer rods use hard to find 64 Falcon manuel steering...65 will not work--taper issue) The Granadas will not work taper & bolt is too long the threads pass over the spindle. The taper is smaller & won't work with the ball joints. You'll have to get V8 ball joints and I am not sure if they will bolt to your existing upper/lower arms. You'll need V8 springs but you may get by on 6 cyl. The tie rod sleeves are the same diam and thread: 11/16ths x 18 threads per inch. There is a site where the guys lists all the parts you need if you have a 6 cyl or a V8 manuel steering. Sorry don;t know the site name. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello I am trying to convert a 1964 ford ranchero six cylinder 4 lug car with drum brakes to five lug drum brakes. Is there mustang or falcon stuff that I can get to swap this over or a v8 ranchero front end?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hello I am trying to convert a 1964 ford ranchero six cylinder 4 lug car with drum brakes to five lug drum brakes. Is there mustang or falcon stuff that I can get to swap this over or a v8 ranchero front end?

Thanks for the help.
65/66 Mustang v-8 spindles will fit perfect.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts