Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you out there have one of those 4 post autolifts? Going to be puttig up an addition on my garage and am thinking about one of these to maximize room. Also how high will my sidewalls have to be, I don't think 8 foot will do it.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Are you thinking about a hoist just to store one car on while another is parked under it? Or do you want one mainly to use for working on the car? At work we have both 2 and 4 post hoists and the 2 posts are waaay better for doing actual work on...IMHO. At home I have an old 2 post and it isn't a great hoist but it sure beats working on the floor.
My shop has a 16 foot ceiling. What height you need depends on what you're going to put on the hoist. Anything taller than a normal car needs a taller ceiling.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I too am considering a lift for my future garage. I am leaning towards the drive on type (4 post). It seems a bit safer and I can just drive onto it. I know you can't work on the wheels and axels that easy, but you can still due it with using a jack and jackstands. But for storage and regular maintenance the 4 post will be fine IMHO.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts