Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I know most of you that race use auto. but I want to know what you think of a 4spd vrs a 5 spd with 5th as 1:1 what do you think the advantage of run a 5 spd. or what do you think it would be from a 3 spd to a 4 spd. I think you could keep up the rpm in the engine and keep it closer to your cam power band. Ok let me know your opinion on this
this is for drag racing only
Alan

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
My opinion is that the more usable gears you have the quicker you will go. Why do you think prostock uses 5 speeds.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
BUT, more gears means you waste more time shifting. I'd say if you have an engine with a relatively wide power band, and all you care about is getting the lowest ET possible, go with the 4spd. If you've got something with a pretty steep power curve, you might be better off with a 5spd so you can keep the RPMs in the sweet spot. Just make sure the gears are spaced pretty well in whatever transmission you get... it's possible to get a 4spd with closer ratios than a 5spd.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would go with a T5. The 4 speeds are slow due to the Gearing. And one the highway 5 speeds make it more driveable. More mpg and less noise. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had a toploader in my Lincoln for a while but the 2.78 first gear was killing my 60' times.I switched over to a Tremec with a 3.27 first gear...what a diiference.If you have the choice go 5 speed.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Cool Lincoln!

·
Registered
216 Posts
I used to have a 3 sp. tranny, but the spacing between the gear rations were too much. Now I have a T-5, and it works great. I only use the first 4 gears on the strip (I have not encountered the need for the 5th=, but it is good to know it is there for the highway.

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'am looking for a 5 spd that fith gear is 1:1 so I can uses the cam power band from 5500 to 7500
Just a thought would a light weight flywheel
could be the ticket if I keep the rmp up and I would have more HP with less drag on the motor with less flywheel weight

Alan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts