Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering does anyone know if a 65 full size Mercury ever came with a 4 speaker radio system,I have a 65 breezeway sedan and trying to figure out how to install four speakers. Right now it has a AM radio with just a speaker in the dash and a place for two more in the rear so maybe three speakers with a factory radio?.

·
Registered
542 Posts
What you describe sounds about like my '64. I was able to find a two-speaker speaker for the dash, with small speakers about 2" apart. Not ideal but my ears aren't what they used to be either. For the rears I went with larger Realistic speakers in the plastic boxes, screwed to the fiberboard. Not for everyone but I was going for the 1970s aesthetic, when I was in high school with my first Galaxie.

The radio is an in-dash AM/FM/8-track with a small Audiovox booster/equalizer under the dash. Again, not for everyone. But I can play Slow Ride really loud (with a bit of warble). :)

Pat

·
Registered
317 Posts
There is only a place for three speakers as you said.
Single 4x10 in the front. Two 6x9 in the rear.
If you are going with a modern radio you have three options to have "4" speakers.
1) get a 4x10 with dual voice coils. This allows you to apply both front channels to one speaker so you don't miss any audio
2) replace 4x10 with two separate smaller speakers. 3.5" to 4"
3) custom fit your own wherever you think is best.

There is sort of a 4th option. You can get the factory radio retrofitted with new modern guts and click the option for mono front and stereo rear which would give you 3 outputs. Still three speakers but don't have to mess with dual voice coils. Not that that is an issue.

I'm going the retrofit route but plan on 4 speakers. Plus a sub because why not. I'm personally undecided between option 1 and 2 that I listed above.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
2 speakers were up front, far left and far right lower edge of dash, I thought the rear C posts could contain one on each side I thought. The front speakers aim down at front seat bottom and floor. Install was easy since holes are pre punched in lower dash edge.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My breezeway sedan does not have a package shelf but does have a place for a speaker on the C pillars but only for a 4 inch speaker,took one speaker grille off and going to see what speaker will fit. Something tells me the am/fm factory radios were most likely mono so no 4 speakers,going to make a plate and mount 2 three inch speakers in the dash.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Just wondering does anyone know if a 65 full size Mercury ever came with a 4 speaker radio system,I have a 65 breezeway sedan and trying to figure out how to install four speakers. Right now it has a AM radio with just a speaker in the dash and a place for two more in the rear so maybe three speakers with a factory radio?.
Hello junkyardjeff,

I do not know about 1965 but I do know for 1966 Ford a stereo 8 track player was an option for full size cars and with that the front speakers were in the doors. For Ford, 1965 and 1966 were mostly identical even the front doors are the same, I would wager the same may be true for Mercury.

The factory AM-FM radios were monaural up to and including 1966. In 1967 FM stereo was an option and stereo was standard for 1968. Again this is full size cars only, I am not sure of the other models. I know in 1968 the base AM-FM stereo would of had speakers in the front doors with an optional fader for 4 speaker stereo and 2 more in the rear package shelf.

The rear speakers in your Mercury sound like the rear speakers for Ford 1965/66 4dr hardtop models in that the rear power vent precluded any speaker mounting in the rear package shelf and therefor these cars have large chrome rear sail panel mounted speaker grills with integrated interior lamp that house a 4" speaker.

One of the projects I have is to install front door speakers in the 66's and 68. I have found that Lincoln Mark V door speaker grills are pretty close to the factory door speaker grills these cars would have came with if such an option was ordered. However genuine front door speaker grills for these cars are like hens teeth; more mythical than anything else.

Just thoughts.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
I don't believe the full size had a door with holes for speaker till the 68 model year. I have a 67 with 8 track and had a 67 Park Lane with the am fm stereo. They both have the under dash speakers in the front, should say had in the case of the Mercury since it's long gone. It matters not since they also would be like hens teeth now. I will try to look up some part numbers tomorrow.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I recall seeing a 65 galaxie at a car show with what the owner said was top of the. It had a record player! No 8 track. I’m guessing from that unsubstantiated sighting that 65 was mono only.
That said. No matter what speaker you get the mounting is going to be custom because a modern speaker would never fit the original mount.
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Trunk Automotive exterior

the “grill” in the dash is about 3.5x8. I went for two 4” coaxial speakers. Not sure how I will mount them yet. 6x9 coaxial speakers in thepackage tray and an L7 8” sub on the package tray. Just ordered.
retroradio.biz will be gutting my am radio and installing new digital guts with blue tooth and preamp outputs.

considering your lack of space on the package tray with a breezeway I would look at under seat powered subs.

·
Premium Member
1,470 Posts
Looking in parts book it doesn't look like the under dash speaker started till 66 C6AA-18808-A 5X5 same speaker and housing for left and right. They did go to door speakers in 68, the cover is C8AZ-18978-F, that number was replaced by D2OZ-18978-A in black. Appears to fit all the intermediates and full size up till 78 anyway. OE would be interior color but replacements black.

·
Registered
494 Posts
like everything else, nothing comes up aftermarket for 65-66 kickpanels with speakers (i have some in my falcon). the do make dual speaker front setups as mentioned, or under seat units though. just some options w out cutting.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
On my 65 I was able to fit some small speakers in the kickpanel by building it out a bit with fiberglass. They have to be small for my size 11 to get to the parking brake.

Instead of the proper dash speaker I used a smaller one and got it to snug up by inserting a piece of wood between the clamp and the speaker.

Then I wired the dash speaker by using the feeds from the kickpanel speakers so I have three speakers. But I read that when you do that, the central speaker is too loud and you have to put in a resistor, which I did, but I'm not sure I did it right as my ears are not the most sensitive. Point being, three speakers can be a tricky setup.

Attachments

·
Registered
317 Posts
That ks kicker setup works in a mustang or any other set up that screws the speaker down. But the 65 galaxie uses a brace that fits around the magnet. See my up side down picture a few posts up.
mom sure those sound fine and I actually planned on getting them until I realized a new mount would need to be created anyway. So I went to 4 inchers.
I am interested to see what others have come up with for modern sound solutions in these old rigs.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I put speakers in the doors in my 65 Custom 500 4 door but not going to do that in the Mercury,I figured if it came with AM/FM it would most likely be mono but do not have any dealer literature to know for sure. It will probably be spring before doing the sound system,I picked up a extra dash bezel and modified it to accept a shaft stereo.
Automotive exterior Gas Bumper Grille Electronic device

1 - 14 of 14 Posts