Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, on the pedal assembly, the very top bolts that seem to go behind the dash, how do you access them?

Can the z bar be removed without taking the steering box out?

Thanks for any info!!

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
first i have to ask why are you removeing pedal assemby....
it you are switching pedals from auto to manual or vise versa...
they use same pedal hanger and all you have to do is pull pin to exchange pedals....

anyway heres a pictures i took when i refinished my dashboard...
i cant remember but i think you might be able to only remove metal trim between windshield and dash to expose bolt heads..
there is a couple cut outs in edge of dash and belive thats where bolts are (circled in red...
and a couple pictures of pedal hanger...

you should be able to remove z bar with out removeing steeringbox
a couple bolts on side of engine block (pivot ball & bushing) drop down, slide out .simular bracket on top of frame behind steeringbox....

hope this help in seeing what your getting into.....:)

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Like raggaren said you don't have to remove the pedal support to change pedals, in fact you don't even have to remove the brake pedal. What I do is remove the pedal pivot pin and put it in from the other side and then use the clutch pedal shaft to push it out as I push the clutch pedal in, that way the brake pedal stays in alignment. And no you don't have to remove the steering box to remove the Z bar.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rag, what did you do about the hook for the clutch return spring?

Btw thanks a ton for the pics. I thought the trim would do the trick but thought IDE ask before I tore my car apart. Is the rod that goes from the clutch pedal out to the firewall available, the one I have is rusty as hell.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
For the spring, pull the speedo cluster and you can get to the hole for the over center spring. The easiest way to do that spring is to leave the pedal stop off and pull the pedal all the way up against the dash and hook the spring, then push the pedal all the way down to the floor, it will stay there, then install the pedal stop. I have an extra rod if you need it.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Thanks also 63...

What did you do about the spring for the clutch pedal?

Thanks for the help
i did not use it...
nor z bar or any of the linkages....
i fabbed up a hydralic clutch system insted.....

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

My auto Pedal assembly doesnt have a hook. Does the hook come off of the pedal assembly? Sorry for all the questions ive got a dirty dark parts car to work with here.

Btw, I'll take the rod. Let me know what you want for it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I converted a 64 Gal of my friends this summer from an auto to 4-speed. We left the big heavy pedal spring off, and he used a diaphram pressure plate. It feels great and he drives it alot with no issues.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
cant remember ..but i think it looks like a piece of all tread with a nut at one end and other end has a eyelet that spring hooks in to.....

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Yes it does. It is just a big eye bolt. That can be reached behind the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
EXracer, The bolt that the spring hooks to is like an "I" bolt with part of the loop missing. The hole for it is in the support bracket for both the auto and sticks because they are both the same. It will have a nut and flat washer on it. Should have a plastic bushing on it too. I might have some pictures of the pedal assembly out of the car that I can email to you.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok guys got the pedals out, return spring, z bar is loose and ready to come out. That freakin I bolt nut was a pain in the ass!! Z bar bolts under steering box were a pain also. Have to cut some exhaust out to get the z bar to drop down and out.

63ford406, I'll buy that pedal to z bar rod from you. Send me a PayPal address.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok guys got everything out. That z bar will not come out until the bell housing is off and motor tilted forward. The t10 trans wouldn't come out, it was rusted to the clutch disk. It took a huge ass pry bar to get it apart. Lotta damn work.

My hands are black, my concrete driveway is black under this rusty dirty ass 63!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
The good thing though, the prize is in hand....;)

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Z bar will come out without cutting the exhaust. Take both brackets (engine and frame) off and it will come out the top with a little twisting and holding your tongue right. LOL. You interested in any of the pictures I have of the pedal assembly out of the car? On the rod, I don't have a pay pal account.

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
Ok guys got everything out. That z bar will not come out until the bell housing is off and motor tilted forward. The t10 trans wouldn't come out, it was rusted to the clutch disk. It took a huge ass pry bar to get it apart. Lotta damn work.

My hands are black, my concrete driveway is black under this rusty dirty ass 63!
Lol...daumme...where's the Pit Crew when you need em....:D

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Z bar will come out without cutting the exhaust. Take both brackets (engine and frame) off and it will come out the top with a little twisting and holding your tongue right. LOL. You interested in any of the pictures I have of the pedal assembly out of the car? On the rod, I don't have a pay pal account.
Maybe this 63 is different but that z bar would not come out of this car from the top.

I can send you a check for the pedal rod. Send pm with details

1 - 19 of 19 Posts