Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did Ford ever make a Factory 4 speed manual transmission for the straight six, such as the Mavricks from the early '70's?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
A friend of mine had an I-6 Mustang, factory from 66, fastback. I used to tease him about it being a waste of a both a 4-speed and a Fastback.

It scared a lot of people, until they heard it run or looked under the hood.

It was sourced from the German fords, I think dagHam was the vendor. Not a particularly strong transmission, but OK behind a six.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I am not sure of the original intent of your question but if you want a 4 speed, it is not very hard to do.

A toploader 4 speed (from a SBF) can easily be swapped for the 3 speed in the maverick. Same length and it has the same bolt pattern. You would also need to punch a hole in the floor for a shifter. Aftermarket shifters are usually better than factory stock.

You could also use the 4 speed OD units from a late 70's Granada. Basically a 3 speed with an OD. They are very similiar in appearance to the classic toploader.

As mentioned, the 65/66 Mustang/Falcon/Comet 6 cylinder 4 speed originated in Europe and were not really strong enough behind the american 6 cylinder.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I am doing is replacing the Inline 200 motor in my 1968 mustang convertible. I am planing on installing a 351 Cleveland, put it is not ready yet as well as some other parts I am going to need for the change over, so for now I picked up another 200 motor that came with the tranny still mounted, the guy who I got it from said that it came out of a Mavrick but he could not remember if it was a 4 speed or a 3 speed. I currently have a 3 speed manual in the Mustang. Also when I do swap in the Cleveland is there a way to modify the inline 6 3 speed to work with the V8 cleveland or do I need to swap out the tanny altogether?
Thanks!
Also If this turns out to be a 4 speed connected to the 200 motor what if any changes would need to be made to the the existing clutch setup, if I wanted to use it reather than the 3speed that is in there now.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Well, the Maverick never came with a 4 speed. They were either 3 speed manual or C4...that was the only 2 options.

As far as making one fit behind a V8...yeah they'll work, but the 200 bellhousing is different which means it'd be better if you could find a bell, clutch, and flywheel from a V8.

·
Registered
10 Posts
trikar,

No idea what changes could have been made to the Maverick in 30 years.

1.) look at the side of the transmission: 2 shirt levers means 3 speed, 3 shift levers means 4 speed.

2.) next look at the starter location.
starter above the oil pan line, you will need a different bell for the V8,
starter below the oil pan line means the engine is from the 80's and the bell will fit a 302 but not a Cleveland.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: V8and4speed on 11/13/06 8:00am ]</font>

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you blip the throttle and push down into low but hear a loud cruching sound, it is a 3-speed, LOL.

Dunno how long it will live behind a rootin tootin Cleveland, tho.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
On 2006-11-12 17:00, V8and4speed wrote:

2.) next look at the starter location.
starter above the oil pan line, you will need a different bell for the V8,
starter below the oil pan line means the engine is from the 80's and the bell will fit a 302 but not a Cleveland.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: V8and4speed on 11/13/06 8:00am ]</font>
302 bellhousing will fit a cleveland,they both use the same 6 bolt bell

1 - 10 of 10 Posts