Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys I had a quick question ???? I have a 4 speed top loader that came with a 428 cobra motor that I got with a trade. My question is can I use the 4 speed (42
with a 351W im not sure and im really new to this. If I can't I think im going to sell it on e-bay. please let me know thanks Jim

·
Registered
118 Posts
I can't see this working in your application unless you used a 428cj clutch and I can't see this being compatible with a 351w flywheel. The problem is that the 428cj 4speed has an enormous 1 3/8" input shaft. How much if you're looking to sell it? What are the numbers on it?
Thanks and good luck
Tom

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Need the right pilot bushing and clutch disc, call Centerforce, Ram, Ect. they will hook you up with what you need.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Most of the big diameter input shafts were set into the Cobra Jet and the Boss engined autos. They had close ratio and wide ratio, both depending upon the rear axle ratio. My thought is that the wide ratio was more prominent.

The Cobra Jet engines normally used a 11 1/2" diameter clutch, and the 351 (normal) engines used up to 11 inch ones. Thus the mention. To spline up to the input is not a real problem, as Ford engines have been using that since the days of the Model A. Obtaining an altered friction disk to fit a 351 may be a slowdown, but not impossible.

One thing also is that you need the Cobra Jet throwout bearing assembly for it is only one to fit over the trans snout. From there I don't know if the 351 arm has fingers spread enough to fit the bearing assy or not.

Instead of contacting someone via mail or telephone for this, find a local clutch rebuilding place and haul everything in to them. Then, go ahead and make your decision as to what you want and what you need.

Wm.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
The input shaft is shorter on the big block trannies so it won't engage the pilot bearing in the crank.There are special stepped pilot bearings that will reach but I've heard they don't last very well in this application.Those big block trannies are worth a fortune to the right person.I would sell it and buy a 5 speed of your choice that will fit your application properly.

·
Banned
2,833 Posts
My vote is to sell it also and go with the 5 spd. Just list it and give the tag info. You might pull the top off and check the gears for damage too. Good CJ, 1 3/8" spline 4 spd is worth so good money for a restro correct numbers car.

·
Registered
283 Posts
All of the factory big input trannies are close ratio (2.32:1 first gear) and they ONLY came behind 428 or 429 cars. Boss 302/351's had the small input tranny, in either close or wide ratio.

Since i posted I looked up the four speed and it is for a 390 original ford fairlane (1966) is this still worh selling?
No, because the 390 trans is a bit of an oddball and is the least desireable of the toploaders from a selling standpoint. The 390 trannys have a slightly shorter input than a 302/351 tranny. You can either use the extended pilot bearing talked about before, or swap out the input to a smallblock unit. I have a friend that rebuilds all types of manual trannys, he has the 390 inputs modified to the small block length. The Fairlane tailhousing is different as well. You can get an adapter to allow you to use it in a Mustang with a Hurst shifter.

If you need more specific info on how to make it fit, PM me.

coosbaylumber, didn't realize you did Fords in addition to your R/C hobbies! It's an illness I tell you!

...nothing worthwhile is ever easy....
...three pedals, four gears or bust!

71 Mach1
71 Cougar XR-7
70 Torino GT

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hemikiller on 8/4/06 10:30pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hemikiller on 8/5/06 2:57am ]</font>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts