Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 64 ford falcon 6 cylinder.i would love to get rid of the old 4 lug pattern,i was thinking a 65 mustang donor car would do it,but mabe someone with some experience can help me...not to mention finding a 65 at a reasonable price is not easy.also i was wondering what what putting in a 9" rear end from a 85 f150 would intell.would appreciate all the info i can get.

·
Registered
743 Posts
as far as the rear goes, gotta measure the length to make sure it's not too long. More than likely, it's going to be too long/wide. Pretty sure the rear out of an '85 F150 is an 8.8 though. It will work (not sure if the F150 was a coil or leaf rear, or what the length was), but it's not a 9" rear.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I have a 64 that was a 6cyl that I have converted to 5 lug. I got a rear from an explorer. Its an 8.8 but they are quite strong from the factory and if in decent shape will handle in excess of 500 hp. I had to shorten one side of the axel tubes to the same size as the short side. Then buy a shorter axel or go to the salvage yard and get a shorter one. The other nice thing is if you look you can easily find the 8.8 with 31 spline axels and rear discs. We also had to relocate the spring pads and set the pinion angle but I did the crites leaf spring relocate kit on the rear anyway so I can get a 10" wide tire on the back.
On the front I bought a used 65 v8 set up from one of the guys on here that was going to rack and pinion. I then got the granada spindles so I could get disc brakes on the front. I also put in a new master cylinder for the discs. You will also need either the proportioning block from a granada or, like I did, get an adjustable one from summit or jegs. I went non power on the brakes to save room under the hood for a 351 with tall valve covers.
You can build a v8 front end with parts from the companies that sell reproduction parts which is nearly what I did by the time I was done.
There is also a guy on ebay that sells disc brake set ups that will fit your 6 clynder spindles that will convert them to 5 lug at the same time. Go to scarebird.com. If you check out the tech articles and go to the falcon board here there is alot of information on what you want to do. My best advice is do alot of research and figure out what you are comfortable with and come here to ask questions.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Where are you located? I converted to R&C front end and have the whole shebang for sale. It came off of my 65' Falcon. $125 buys it all. Spindles, drums, upper and lower control arms, tie rods, springs,strut rods. Five lug 289 V8. Falcon Parts Jasper, Ga.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts