Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I have to start out by thanking you all for all your help and you didnt even know you were helping. You guys are truly experts. I wish i could be smart. You guys are the best. I have a 400m in a 71 mach one. it has a 2100 autolite 2100 2 barrel. stock intake and stock exhaust manifolds. Is this motor similar to a cleveland or a boss for bolt on parts purposes.? I need the power steering bracket for the stock power steering pump and need to know if the March performance kit for power steering and alternator will work. Also, I need to know if the Weiand 8010 intake will work on the 2v heads and what carburetor should I use. It has a c-6, but i would like to get a t-5 and convert it back to a manual transmission. I have the clutch pedal and a rod that goes through the firewall, but that is all. Does anyone know if there is a shop in southern california that would put the t-5 in and convert it back for a reasonable price. I would donate the c-6 to a worthy cause. What exactly is an FE engine.?
Thanks and you guys are truly at the genious level.

Gary

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
On 2006-08-17 10:21, OFFROADSTER wrote:
Hey Guys, I have to start out by thanking you all for all your help and you didnt even know you were helping. You guys are truly experts. I wish i could be smart. You guys are the best. I have a 400m in a 71 mach one. it has a 2100 autolite 2100 2 barrel. stock intake and stock exhaust manifolds. Is this motor similar to a cleveland or a boss for bolt on parts purposes.?

Hi Gary,

First off let me tell you you generally just call it a 400 (not a 400M, more on that point later)

The 400 was not stock in the Mustang it has been swapped in.

You are correct it is similar to a Cleveland, However it is a different block with a higher deck height. This is a problem as it makes the intake wider than a Cleveland. The 400 was not well covered by the aftermarket even when it was new. I don't have all the facts but I believe back in the day there was one manufacturer that made an aluminum 4 barrel for it. and I also believe there was port plates available to use 351 intakes.

Most internal stuff and accesories and heads will swap on it with Cleveland but I'm no expert so others will most likely chip in here. I think there was talk of some performance parts being created recently for some of these old early 70's motors but you'd have to do some googling to find out.

Later in the mid 70's the true Cleveland was dropped and the 400 was destroked to 351 and it became the 351M (modified) and thus the motor family is called the 351M/400

I need the power steering bracket for the stock power steering pump and need to know if the March performance kit for power steering and alternator will work. Also, I need to know if the Weiand 8010 intake will work on the 2v heads and what carburetor should I use. It has a c-6, but i would like to get a t-5 and convert it back to a manual transmission. I have the clutch pedal and a rod that goes through the firewall, but that is all. Does anyone know if there is a shop in southern california that would put the t-5 in and convert it back for a reasonable price. I would donate the c-6 to a worthy cause.

Can't help ya there!

What exactly is an FE engine.?

An FE is a Ford/Edsel motor and is what is commonly referred to as the Big Block Ford. Developed in the late 50's as a Evolution of the existing Y block technology. It includes the 332 352 360 390 406 427 428, 428CJ and 428SCJ
a sealted family is the MEL Mercury/Edsel/Lincoln which include a 361 410
also the FT Ford truck engine of which I only recall the 391 specifically.

The 427 of course is the one well known for its use in NASCAR and the 427 Cobra and the Ford GT MkII's and Mk IV LeMans winning cars

They have a deep skirted block that makes them tough as nails. and the 427 side oilers had cross bolted mains to live all day on NASCAR tracks ( and LeMans)

Thanks and you guys are truly at the genious level.

Well shucks.....Thanks Stu

Gary

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Stu, Thanks. I can only repeat myself, You are truly genious, Thanks again. I will put this info to good use.

·
Registered
3 Posts
On your tranny swap question, the other thing about the 351m/400 engines is that with the raised deck height, they also used the larger big block 429/460 style bell housings.
I do not know of any T5 trans that was built with the big block bell housings. There may be some companies that build build them. Again the google search. The 351 Cleveland however, did still use the small block 289/302/351w belhousings. the other part would be the question of flywheel and clutch. The cleveland stuff amy work with a T5, but I don't know for sure.
351M/400 flywheel and clutch will not work without a modified bellhousing.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
A few 400's came from the factory with the small block bell housing pattern. If you happen to have a small pattern 400, then a T5 will bolt right in.

The T5 might be a little on the weak side for a 400 in a 71 mustang. Look into after market modified T5's or go with a tremec TKO.

Edelbrock makes an intake for the 400.

400s can be built to make some serious power. They are known as torque monsters. It could be a very fun ride.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Some early 70's Econolines had the dual bellhousing 400's IIRC Stu

·
Registered
5 Posts
On 2006-08-24 12:46, ChicoB wrote:
A few 400's came from the factory with the small block bell housing pattern. If you happen to have a small pattern 400, then a T5 will bolt right in.

400s can be built to make some serious power. They are known as torque monsters. It could be a very fun ride.
Those 400's are sometimes called 400FMX blocks because these were sold bolted to the old FMX automatics.

These are rare as hens teeth. From what I've found, these were only sold in intermediate Fords and Mercurys during the 1973 model year. I have one of the blocks and except for the small bell bolt pattern inside the undrilled big bell pattern, these are identical to any other 400.

Sam

·
Registered
5 Posts
On 2006-08-17 10:21, OFFROADSTER wrote: It has a c-6, but i would like to get a t-5 and convert it back to a manual transmission. I have the clutch pedal and a rod that goes through the firewall, but that is all. Does anyone know if there is a shop in southern california that would put the t-5 in and convert it back for a reasonable price.
You should be able to use a 400 manual bellhousing or a 429 car bellhousing. Clutch linkage would be a challenge so spend the money for an aftermarket cable clutch kit or a hydro clutch kit. Clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing should be easy enough to source as should the flywheel. Also, don't forget the pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft. As for the tranny, forget the T-5 and go with a Tremec TKO 500. If you look around you can still find the older Tremec 3550 and TKO or TKO II. All three of these are stronger than the T-5 but not quite as strong as the TKO 500. If you go nuts and drop big money on the 400 to make serious power, go with the TKO 600. I run a TKO II behind my 400. It will handle about 475 ft-lbs of torque and since I don't drive like a fool, it works just fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, 68, chico, capt and sam, i will have to get the numbers off the block and see which i have, thanks for the trans info, the tko unit sounds like the way to go, i dont know what year the motor was swapped out, thanks again fellas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts